U.S. Navy chaplains will perform same-sex marriages at military chapels, thoughts?

BY Larry Mcshane
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 11:59 AM

Take our Poll

Gay Marriage in the Navy

Should Navy chaplains have the power to decide whether or not to marry gays?

U.S. Navy chaplains are getting new duties on land: performing same-sex marriages.

The chaplains will receive training to conduct the civil unions once the Department of Defense ends its ban on gays in the military, Navy officials said Monday.

"If the base is located in a state where same-sex marriage is legal, then base facilities may normally be used to celebrate the marriage," read a memo from the chief of Navy chaplains.

Military chapels and catering facilities would become available for sex-same unions, the memo said.

Under the new training, any chaplains whose religious beliefs did not include gay marriage will not be required to conduct the ceremonies.

The Pentagon is slowly implementing its repeal of the 17-year ban on gays in the military. The new policy should go into effect some time this summer.

But a Missouri Congressman says the new guidelines for the Navy violate a federal law defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

"While a state may legalize same sex marriage, federal property and federal employees, like Navy chaplains, should not be used to perform marriages that are not recognized by federal law," wrote Todd Akin (R-Mo.)

Chaplains are among the first group of service members to receive training on the new policy.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/05/10/2011-05-10_us_navy_chaplains_will_perform_samesex_marriages_at_military_chapels.html#ixzz1LyJKQK5A

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:30 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Love is love, no matter. I think two committed people who want to marry should have the right!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 1:36 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Pardon the pun but I think it's gay.
    Anonymous

• I believe homosexual marriage should be legal. I do not believe that religious clergy or organizations should have to go against their beliefs to perform the ceremonies. Just as a Catholic church can refuse to marry Methodists.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 1:36 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Under the new training, any chaplains whose religious beliefs did not include gay marriage will not be required to conduct the ceremonies.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• If they are not require to do this if it goes against their believes, then have another one do it who doesn't have religious believes against it. I see no problem with it!

Answer by older at 1:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Too bad it's even an issue
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• They better repeal DOMA before they start. If they don't the marriages won't be valid federally.

They also haven't made a move to update the UCMJ regarding homosexuality. I wonder why.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:46 PM on May. 10, 2011

The marriages will only take place in the states where its legal...Hopefully this will drag the nation FORWARD and there will be FEDERAL ACTION

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:47 PM on May. 10, 2011

Good.  My husband has just spent many hours in the training for commanders on the repeal....  He expressed many concerns from Senior NCO's, since they handle many of the personell issues.  While, there is not going to be an overnight resolve, the military is taking small methodical steps....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Everyone deserves the right to happiness. As I say this, I have family who is gay/lesbians.. BUT for me.... I would not want to be in the military trying to serve my country having to worry about gays eye balling me in the shower, or flirting with me. We are there to serve our country not to be summitted to acts of affection by our fellow brothers. I mean are they going to split the barracks up so that others aren't subjected to this. Will it become a free for all ...
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:54 PM on May. 10, 2011