Should the passenger in a car be held responsible for.....

DWI or accidents that involve the driver driving while intoxicated? Should the passenger also face charges and prison time or ignition interlocks?

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/ex-cop-facing-trial-in-pedestrian-death?ref=scroller&categoryId=10001&status=true

Does the passenger being a police officer change your opinion in any way?

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 1:52 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'll be the odd ball and say no. Not like you described it anyway. If the passengers are also drunk, I don't think they should be held responsible. Drunk or not, they didn't decide to drive, even if they were stupid enough to get in the car with a drunk driver. The driver is solely responsible for his actions and their consequences.

Now, if the passengers are sober, then....maybe. I dunno. I still think the driver should be held responsible, and not able to shove it off or share it with others.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:16 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No, it's not against the law to ride with a drunk, It's stupid but not illegal. Now a cop? I don't think they should be jailed or anything but they should be suspended if not fired. I guess it would depend on the severity of the situation. They are sworn to uphold the law and the law states you cannot drive drunk. If the cop knowingly allowed it, he should face some type of punishment.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:57 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I think the consequences would depend on whether the passengers were drunk as well ~ but yes, they should be held accountable as well. Whether they are sober and stupid enough to let a drunk drive, or just as drunk, they are in that car with a drunk driver and at least guilty of allowing/participating in the drunk driving. To me it wouldn't matter if the passenger is a cop or not. Cops are never really off duty ~ and are just as responsible for their own actions as the next person.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:08 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I think the difference with a cop would be that it is his duty to arrest a drunk driver. I guess morally anybody should report it but a civilian can't physically make the arrest like an actual office could.
    Anonymous

• I dont think they are responsible per se, but they should be aware they are the ones that will likely die in an accident. it is hardly ever the driver. my cousin died this way, people make choices, even if they are bad ones. of course people should stop people from driving if they physcially can or at least hide the keys, but most just tag along because they are drunk themselves or just dont care. I dont think they could be held accountable by the law though. everyone has their own mens rea ! not sure about the cop one though
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 1:56 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Well were the passengers also intoxicated or were they sober and still allowing a drunk friend to drive them.
    Anonymous

• Interesting question. I've never really considered it before, but my first thought on the matter is "yes". I think how responsible they should be held depends on the circumstances, and the passenger being a police officer makes no difference to me.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 2:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't think they should be liable. But I also don't think they should have legal grounds to sue the driver if they are in an accident. I know someone who sucessfully sued the driver in a drunk driving accident, when he was a willing passenger who made a choice to get in that car knowing that the driver was drunk.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The passenger isn't responsible in this situation. Drinking impairs your judgment, cop or not. Doesn't change my opinion.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:10 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I think the passenger should absolutely be held responsible for a driver driving intoxicated! Cops should be equally responsible, despite what a lot of them think they are not above us.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:00 PM on May. 10, 2011