Anyone make thier own laundry soap?

I'm planning to use the Duggar recipe (below). My question is in regards to where it says "fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser." How large does the old laundry soap dispenser need to be?

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value

4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.

-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)

-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.

-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)

-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 1:56 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/
    just incase you want to try some different recipes
    goddess99

Answer by goddess99 at 2:20 PM on May. 10, 2011

• yep i used this for a long time i love it! i just put it in a 5gal bucket and scooped it right out of that i never put it in an old jug! but if u want to u can put it in just a normal jug but u might need 2 jugs! oh if u have a front loader tho u need to put it right in with the clothes, mine didnt go threw the lil drawer thing! now im making a dry powder one! same thing only no water! u can message me if u need any help!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:09 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I use my old laundry soap bottles (cheer, tide whatever) and old bleach bottles that way it's easier fer my to handle and shake before each use.
    goddess99

Answer by goddess99 at 2:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't make my own.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 2:51 PM on May. 10, 2011