Does anyone else's cat "stress eat"?

I'm nearing the end of my pregnancy and things have changed pretty rapidly. My cat means the world to me. I have had her for 6 years but she is 11 years old.

I used to let her go wherever she wanted and do whatever she wanted. Now we keep the bedroom door closed when we arent' in there because she has been getting into the bassinet and we want to keep her out of there for when the baby comes. I used to turn over on my back for her when she would visit me in the middle of the night and we would have cuddle time- I don't do that anymore because I am exhausted and can't lay on my back anyway. I don't play with her as much but my DF still breaks out the laser pointer for her. But again, I'm usually tired by the time I come home.

She has been eating a TON lately. I fill her bowl in the morning and by the time I get home from work its gone. Has any one else had a cat that stress eats? I feel terrible but I don't know what I can do about it. I don't want to just keep putting food down for her to eat all of it and gain weight, she's already pretty hefty at 15 pounds.

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 2:08 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Pets

• I wonder if she is not using all the nutrients in the food. ( age and stress related) Try adding 1 teaspoon of olive oil to her wet or dry food daily.

Also, you may want to change the brand of food:

Innova ; Wellness, Solid Gold are all good brands-

Also, a good supplement each day can be of help to your elderly kitty.

http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

BEST wishes...

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 2:42 PM on May. 10, 2011

• She is an older cat so it may be time to have blood work done. It may not be stress eating at all. Hyperthyroid effects cats as they get older. Typical symptoms are eating constantly, losing weight, drinking and peeing more. However, not all cats fall into the norm. I had a cat that showed the symptoms but blood work came back normal 3 times before it showed up and I had another cat that never really lost weight.  He had it for about 8 years before he died and did not look like your typical hyperthyroid cat. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:49 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i dont got one that stress eats but my youndg cat had 3 kittens and my older one she is 9 lost a big patch of hair from her stress and they had to give her steroids shots from it. but i think she might have something else going on cat usually dont eat that much at a time.
    kittylover333

Answer by kittylover333 at 5:34 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I wish my cat wouldnt eat so much. hes just getting fatter and fatter and hes only 2
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 6:42 PM on May. 10, 2011