Did you have a

functional or disfunctional childhood? Do you think you learned how not to be from it, or do you see some of the negativity coming out now and then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• I had a very dysfunctional childhood, but I didn't realize it until I was an adult. My parents divorced when I was five. I don't remember them being together AT ALL. They went on to remarry other people, both divorced those people, and now they're remarried to their third spouses. I went back and forth from my dad's house to my mom's every Friday from the time I was 5 to 18. I was emotionally abused by my dad's second wife. A lot of my weight issues stem from my parents being more concerned about their jobs and relationships than about teaching their little girl healthy eating habits. And they wonder why I'm an overweight 20 year old? Yeah, okay.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• i had a disfunctional childhood but it has made me a better mother cause i seen how my mom did me and my sisters so i made the decsion i wouldnt be like her shes an alchy and a druggie and im not
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Anyway.

I'm a pretty normal adult. I witnessed many things a small child probably shouldn't witness, but I'm not crazy or mental or anything. I don't smoke, drink, or do drugs. My pregnancy doesn't stem from my bad childhood, it stems from my own immature stupidity (I'll use protection from now on!). But yeah. The way I was raised was definitely a guidebook as to how NOT to raise a child.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I endure the negative effects of my childhood now. But there was some things I learned. My parents had dysfunctional childhoods too and though they improved they still carried that with them into their parenting.
    Anonymous