Needing help weaning an exclusively breastfed baby?

My original plan was to nurse until 1 year however I have to go back to work. I start in 3 weeks and at the moment the baby won't take a bottle at all. Help!

3:11 Update* 

She's 5 months old and I have tried pumped milk.

MamaCyjo

Asked by MamaCyjo at 2:25 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried having someone else give her the bottle?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes. My mom, hubby, brothers and MIL have tried. She acts like she don't know what to do and cries.
    MamaCyjo

Comment by MamaCyjo (original poster) at 2:36 PM on May. 10, 2011

• have you tried using a cup?
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 2:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Are you pumping? Are you offering breast milk from a bottle? How old is she?
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 2:51 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have tried formula and pumped milk. She will drink from a cup but it takes alot of work - My mom is going to be keeping her.
    MamaCyjo

Comment by MamaCyjo (original poster) at 3:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Are you anywhere in the room when the alternate feeding is given?

Here's the deal... NO baby will starve herself. NONE. She may just reverse cycle... never take even a drop when you're at work but nurse a lot when you come home. That's normal and fine. Babies don't need top be fed on a schedule... they need to be fed when they want to eat. Clocks have no part of that.

Weaning will not help you here. But just relax. She'll be FINE even if she never takes one drop when you're apart.. Your mom may have some headaches for a day or two till she gets used to it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• A bottle is easy, but not the ONLY way to feed your baby.

What about using a cup? Designed for babies with palate issues, they're a small one-ounce plastic cup designed to let the baby "lap" milk up. (Ask your pediatrician if you can't locate one).

My one month old baby has been using one since birth, and has no problem transitioning between breast and supplemental cup feedings of expressed breastmilk. The only thing is that the cup is so small that Baby gets a bit frantic waiting for the cup to be refilled. And it's much more time consuming than bottle-feeding, too.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:52 PM on May. 10, 2011