Need advice/tips on how to amuse my 2 toddlers on a long car ride trip for our family vaction later this month. What do you think I can bring along or do to help keep them happy?

We are driving form MA to Niagara Falls and then onto Toronto. 8 hrs for the first leg of the trip. We know it will be longer as we may need to make frequent stops if the kids are cranky or to stretch our legs/ get a bite to eat. My son is almost 3 1/2 and in the midst of potty training and my daughter is 16 mos and just starting to take her 1st steps. We will be staying at a hotel, too. any ideas to make the trip enjoyable for them , too? Thanks so much, ladies!!
Edit Question | Delete Question | Report this questi

2coolmama

Asked by 2coolmama at 10:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Travel

• I went to niagara falls last summer with my hubby and two kids(5 and 2)I brought a dvd player with lots of cartoons, coloring books,tons of toys and books.They didn't even seem to mind the 8 hour drive, plus we stopped at places on the way (rest stops so they could sight see, and places to eat/ use the restroom)
    sherina937

Answer by sherina937 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• lotz of drugs j-j lol
    shannon401

Answer by shannon401 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• You can buy these compartmental things that go over the front seats, and holds things for the kids to do. You could fill them with books, electronic child games and the like. Also make sure they have snacks. I would stop often and just let them run around (with supervision of course) at the rest stops. Toddlers have alot of energy to burn off.
    Mom4Gma2

Answer by Mom4Gma2 at 6:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Oh...and get a tape of songs toddlers like. I don't know what they are anymore. My kids liked "Raffe"
    Mom4Gma2

Answer by Mom4Gma2 at 6:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• The DVD player is great! We started when our kids were toddlers with Sesame St. dvds, now we have moved on to Disney movies. Music...Laurie Berkner is our favorite. Coloring books,sticker books. We also had two Magna Doodles that were specifically made for the car. They were great too. Have fun.
    drdarcmom

Answer by drdarcmom at 11:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• oh, and another idea....you could buy a few little things at the dollar store. Wrap them. Then if you need to, you can bring out a gift for them to unwrap and discover. Unwrapping something gives them something "different" to think about.
    drdarcmom

Answer by drdarcmom at 11:14 PM on Jul. 18, 2008