how do i handle disappointment for my 7 year old daughter?

My 7 daughter has already been through alot of dissappointment. My mother in law and husband have always had a rocky relationship, then one year ago they had the "BIG FIGHT". She as well as my brother in law are now estranged. My daughter has been very hurt over this. Now its her first holy communion. We were taking the whole family up to the poconos to celebrate but now my dad is not well and has to have an er surgery. I don't
know how to tell her we need to postpone her trip and disappoint her again. Any advice?

emve2001

Asked by emve2001 at 2:35 PM on May. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think 7 is old enough to understand daddy needs surgery. be there for him, make cards, choose flowers, etc

in the meantime show her the trip is still on. go swimsuit shopping, look at photos online of the hotel, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Disappointment isn't a bad thing. It teaches coping skills. Simply tell her the truth. Things happen in life and we have to adjust. It's good to teach her now. Make it a life's lesson and she'll be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:38 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Be honest with her. Honesty is the best thing that you can share with your kids she will understand better. Dont make excuses just tell her how it is. Good luck :)
    selaranda

Answer by selaranda at 2:39 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would first make plans for the next avaiable time to go on her mini vacation and then let her know that grandpa is having surgery and you had to cancel but have replanned for such and such date
    vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 2:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• thanks for the advice..I'll probably tell her tonight.
    emve2001

Comment by emve2001 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on May. 10, 2011

• As long as she knows the trip is still going to happen she will be okay. It's only postponed not cancelled.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:16 PM on May. 10, 2011