What is the right amount of video game time for a ten year old?

Like any typical little boy he loves his video games. On school days after he finishes homework and whatever chores I might have for him I give him and my 14 yr old the same amount of time which is one hour. But here lately hes been wanting more time and I refuse but my hubby says that as long as hes through with his responsibilitys that I should give him more time. My daughter doesnt have a prob with it cause she is in to doing other things so she doesnt play it everyday.If he does good on his weekly grades then I give him two hours on Saturday.Friday night is reserved for movie family movie night. He loves to go outside and play but I think he is refusing to do other things and says hes bored because hes milkiing the fact that his father and I dont agree on this subject. Please any suggestions would be great!

Fairymom32

Asked by Fairymom32 at 2:44 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Whatever your values say is fine. If you want to try giving him incentives to earn more game time, like take out the trash for 10 more mintues, set the table for ten more minutes, or any other chore you think a ten year old can do safely. It worked great for my nephew. He started helping with the laundry and mowing the lawn to earn more game time :) But he is 12.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 3:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I do not limit my children's TV or Video Game time. As long as they are getting their chores and other responsibilities done as they are supposed to their time is their time... Besides, when they are in school, there isn't much time left...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:47 PM on May. 10, 2011

• WOW! sounds like u have a very stable schedule! Im impressed... I could never manage that with my kids. I have a 7 year old with ADHD who obsesses over playing video games, and drives everyone nutz! I think one hour would b good for him if I could get his dad to b more strict about that. but, in your case, your son sounds very responsible, and if him playing video games isnt causing any problems, and no one else is bothered by it, I would maby let him play from after supper, till bed time, or after chores till supper.. Maby get rid of the time limit altogether. just a thought.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 2:54 PM on May. 10, 2011