Some of the nastiest, meanest gossip I've ever heard started with....

"I'm only telling you this so you can pray....but..."

Just a comment... not so much of a question really.

CallMeAngie

Asked by CallMeAngie at 2:44 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Interesting observation! People don't tend to tell me gossip very often - I'm not sure if it's because they know I don't care for gossip, or if it's because they know I don't pray.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 2:46 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I can honestly say I have never heard that 'line'... interesting...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:48 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No one has EVER started out gossip with that to me....
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 2:49 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I've heard it. that line and the "Don't be offended but...." hate them both. Just tell me that someone is going through a rough time and needs someone to pray for them. I don't need the details of it, tell me who and that they need it and I'll do it. don't include the gossip that isn't my concern!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• okay?
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Thankfully I've never heard that... But I've heard some awesome gossip in my day.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:18 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I can't say that I've ever heard that, but then again I try to avoid gossip as much as possible.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:44 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I've heard that quite often myself. If I feel the need to ask somebody to pray for somebody else, I'll just say, "Will you lift so and so up in prayer. They are having a difficult time right now." If I'm asked for details, I'll say, "I'm really not at liberty to say, but God is aware of the situation."
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i've never heard that!! how funny! hmm...when i think of the few gossipers i've known in my lifetime, and how they would start a conversation...mmm..nope..prayer was never mentioned!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I've run across this at various times. There is one person in my life who I love dearly who used to do this constantly. It's actually just a clever way of hiding an unkindness behind an act of virtue. For the person who isn't asked to pray the same thing can occur but the lead in is different... it goes something like, "I'm only telling you this so you can be aware of the situation and protect yourself." I think a lot Christians and Non Religious people can all agree that gossiping is really nasty behavior.
    CallMeAngie

Comment by CallMeAngie (original poster) at 4:58 PM on May. 10, 2011