Do your kids get enough exercise?

I have a friend with a dd who is a bit overweight. She drives her to school(5 min walk) dosnt do much with her dd at all as far s activities. Her dd decided to join the school track team...one practice a week. I thought oh good for the dd at least she is doing something. So now the mom is saying things like oh she cand eat 5 pieces of pizza as she had track today....lol I went to the track meet, and the dd did 2 events, long jump, and 100 meter. Was in last at both, exasted, and then sat down the rest of the time and ate. I just dont understand parents that think running for 5 minutes once a week is a good enough amount of exercise for anyone much less a kid...only then to reward them with crap food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm usually begging my children to sit down and take a break... They NEVER stop... So yeah, they get more than enough. And yes, we have used "crap food" as a reward, and they get other junk too... But most of the time they eat well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:52 PM on May. 10, 2011

• nope, my kids don't. they aren't overweight I just have an issue with wasps out here and until we get that all taken care of the kiddos and i are kinda stuck inside unless we drive 20 minutes to the park.
    Anonymous

• My son never stops, my daughter is clumsy so she doesn't like to run that much, but my kids are not overweight.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:59 PM on May. 10, 2011

• yes, i get stir crazy and cabin fever if i sit in this house for too long, so our day is always jam packed with activity. in the morning before nap, i put the younger two in the stroller and we walk to the playground (less than a mile) and my oldest rides her bike. we stay for 45 minutes, then walk home. after nap, we drive to the same location and swim for an hour. either that or i fill up the kiddie pool in my backyard, turn on the sprinkler and let them run thru it, give them access to the hose, or if im too busy with other stuff, we go for a long walk after dinner. i do give them junkfood in moderation.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:59 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't know. Some days I think he does, other days not so much. We walk the girl we babysit to and from school, about 7 minute walkthere, 7 back. He is in t-ball right now, and soccer when its in season. He plays the kinect after dinner, so that keeps him on his feet and moving. But I feel like there is a lot of nothing in between that time.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My kids were really active and participted in sports.We never rewarded with food for any reason. My MIL used to do that with her kids and her daughter was extremely attached to food and eating and became morbidly obese. Not good.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:07 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My dd takes martial arts 5 days a week, so we're good! LOL
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes they do..
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• In the summer I know they do, in the winter not as much but it balances out. In warmer months they are constantly outside running around. There is a park down the street, they play games with their friends, used to have bikes (had to leave them when we moved but we're hoping to get them all new ones this summer), used to have a pool (before we moved and they were in it constantly). I rarely see them when they aren't in school because they are outside running around. Add to that the 3 recesses they have every day and gym twice a week where they have more organized activities for fun and they get plenty. They are all skinny as heck and my son is all muscle.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Most of my kids are really active, one tends towards being a couch potato if we let him, especially in the winter. We get him involved in fun stuff to get him up and moving. Kids definitely need exercise. It's good for their bodies and for their brains.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:33 PM on May. 10, 2011