Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Does anyone have a baby with an allergy to flouride?

I'm racking my brain, and the doctors are trying everything, to find out what will help my baby boy's severe diaper rash. He's been diagnosed with erosive diaper dermititis and is on perscription ointments for it right now. I'm praying these ointments help him finally, but I'm still thinking of reasons he might have gotten this rash. I'm wondering if maybe it could be the Nursery Water I'm using to mix his formula. He's already on hypoallergenic formula for a milk allergy and is only 2 months old. Could the flouride in the nursery water be affecting him? I see that flouride allergies are real, and a symptom is rashes, but can't find any information on flouride allergies in infants.

Thank you!

Answer Question

Asked by RitaMarieCC at 2:51 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Fluoride is toxic and carries real health dangers, especially for babies. We have always don't fluoride free as much as possible but we don't do "baby water" or anything like that. I just use a britta filter and tap water. So they do get SOME (more than I like) fluoride, but I do my best to limit it. However, I don't know anyone with an allergy to it, but it wouldn't shock me!! Chemical allergies are becoming more and more common...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • I try to avoid fluoride as much as possible too because it is toxic. It would not surprise me to find that a baby is sensitive to it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • I would STOP buying a formula that you mix with water. Instead ONLY use LIQUID pre-mixed formula like Similac Advance. Go to, they have a few different formulas to choose from. My Pediatrician told me when my Son was born to only use the Liquid NO powder. Many of my friends had to switch to liquid for a lot of reasons including what you described. Our local water has no flouride but there are other things in local water & especially well water that can make an infant very sick. I would NOT use Nursery Water either. Go buy Liquid Formula today & you'll see an improvement very quickly. GL!

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:36 PM on May. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.