My son is 3 and still in diapers.....is there something wrong with me?

I cannot get my son to use the potty for the life of me! I have tried everything I can possibly think of and had no success! He just had his 3rd birthday and I am starting to get a little embarrased that he still wears diapers. Am I the only mom with a 3 year old in diapers? I can't ask if there is something wrong with him, but is there something wrong with me?? I have had the idea I've done everything I can to teach him about going, but you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.....is that wrong or the same with my boy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Boys take longer to potty train and sometimes they dont get out of diapers till 4 so I wouldnt stress about it. Just ask him if he has to go potty through out the day and then put him on the toilet and let him sit there for a little bit. He will start to go in time. Good luck!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• no there is nothing wrong with you my 3 year old daughter still wears diapers at night a child potty trains when they are ready give yourself kudos for trying tho
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No there is nothing wrong with you. Many children are not potty trained until 3 and sometimes 4.

My son was 4.5 due to special needs, and my current 3.5 year old is not potty trained. I am not embarrased.
    Anonymous

• You know, there's no mold that all children fit into when it comes to anything...even potty training. 3 years old is really not that old. My 4 year old was potty trained at 2.5 but has accidents still. Another thing to consider is if you are stressing about this and putting too much pressure on him it could be too much for him to handle and instead of making progress he'll regress. I don't know thats whats happening but it's something to consider.

Potty training is my least favorite part of parenting so far. It's extremely hard, frustrating and on going. Maybe you should take a break from it for a week or so. Give him so time off too. And then regroup and try again. I do not think there is anything wrong with either of you!!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Every child is different. If he has a younger sibling he may take longer because they are still in diapers and he likes the attention he gets from diaper changing.

He may not be ready, boys are harder to potty train. My almost five year old SS just got out of diapers a few weeks ago. He is autistic, however, he is only about a year behind kids his age developmentally.

My niece, who is five, just finished potty training. She has a younger sibling and would not potty train until he did too.

Every kid is different and it does not mean that you are a bad parent and if anyone gives you grief, ignore it.

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My son was easy to potty train it was shocking- he was just shy of 3 years old. My daughter was almost 4 when she was out of diapers. There is nothing wrong with you and don't worry- you son is not going to go to first grade in diapers. :)
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• One of my brother's little girls flattly refused to have anything to do with the potty until she was nearly 4. They tried every trick in the book - and they already had a potty trained girl and boy so they had experience! Nothing worked. Then one day her older brother flattly told her she was too old to be wearing diapers. That did it. She marched up to her mom and asked to have her panties back. She's 16 now and is one of the smartest kids I've met. My point? The intelligence of the child and the parenting of the parent have little to do with it. Sometimes a kid just doesn't want to.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Thank you, thank you and thank you again for this question. My son is persistant in wearing his diapers but every once in a while and I mean once in a while I will find him on the toilet and I just praise him and praise him and praise him. I thought I was doing something wrong (being a first time parent) but obviously I am doing just fine. Phewwwww.
    linwood

Answer by linwood at 12:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• My daughter is 3 and wants NOTHING to do with the potty. She knows what it is and how to use it, but she just doesn't want to!
    sarah3-CO

Answer by sarah3-CO at 12:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2008