What would you do with this employee

I have a person on staff that defies my authority. The problem is that in the line of work I am in I sometimes do not find out until a couple months later if there is an isssue. He claims he does not know but it is outlined in his handbook and I verbally have told him. Our company has trouble retaining people so I think he feels he has job security. He is a charmer and I can't stand it. When the boss comes he just flirts and gets his way. He comes across as someone who always gets his way.

However in the end I am in charge. I have covered for him. But I hate not knowing what to expect. What could happen to my credibility. Having an employee I cannot trust makes my job rough. I am always sweating bullets. I have had a discussion with him and now he just tells me things are getting done and when I check they are not....URRRR

I am thinking about putting in my notice because I deserve better. It is only a 2 person office....Me and him

I know corporate would just tell me to deal with it. I am use to working for a bigger company. Because If I could I would fire him on the spot.

What would you do?

oliviahank

Asked by oliviahank at 2:56 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• Do not let him run you out............he will win and he sounds like someone that does that especially if he is lying to you. Do you have the authority to fire him? If so do it, there are so many people out there looking for jobs that can not find one and I am sure one that will do the job right. If you like the job other then just him, try to get rid of the problem. If you do quit find another one first, it's tough out there and I would not stick up for him, note what you tell him to do and he does not.............
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 3:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• that's a tough situation to be in. I had that go on when i was in retail mgmt. i ended up leaving...i can not work with people i do not trust and that stab u in the back
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 3:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I say if you have the authority then fire him. Dont let him get his way this time. Show him that there are some people in this world that will not put up with his BS. Certainly if you have been working for this company longer then him and have a good record with them they will not question you!
    Fairymom32

Answer by Fairymom32 at 3:09 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Any place that would tell me to deal with it, and he's getting paid to suck then I would leave.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Stop covering for him and document everything. Even if it's X date told so-and-so to do blah blah blah, Y date found out so-and-so did not do blah blah blah. If he's defying your authority document that too.

LOL side note: If you're anywhere close to me (WA) I'm more than happy to take his place.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:16 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Anyway you can document everything should help put the spot light on him.
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 3:17 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would search for a few candidates to fill his position. As soon as you find someone, say two or three that are plenty qualified, replace him. If you have to go to your board, make the proposal.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:41 PM on May. 10, 2011

• In this job market, he really shouldn't feel that secure. I would document each & every occurrence and then ask for a meeting with him & your boss. Why does your company have such a hard time retaining people?

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 3:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• So I ended up having a meeting with him and my boss. I lied to her face. I was floored. Even after he eft the offic she told me she knew he was lying but was going to give him one more chance to see if he would do better......Are you serious. She said she trusted me and did ot want to lose me. However I get lied to almost everyday by this guy and then he lies to my boss....I have other jobs lined up.

I would never quit without having something lined up.

Just wanted to update you on the situation
    oliviahank

Comment by oliviahank (original poster) at 12:26 PM on May. 11, 2011

• I would replace this person

Answer by rkoloms at 8:17 PM on May. 11, 2011