Do you think Congress should stop opening with a prayer?

Personally I think if they want to have the option of prayer or something they should simply give a moment of silence or something. But honestly, why can't you just pray in the car? What ever happened to a "wall of separation between church and state?"

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:59 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't care either way. if that is their "thing" so be it, doesn't bug me either way.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yeah, I think they should stop... Not because I'm against public prayer, but because I'm against hypocrisy.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree with you. I would have no problem with an optional moment of silence.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 3:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Why do they need to b separate? in the state that this country is in... A little prayer isnt gunna hurt anyone.. maby annoy some people, but they will get over it i think.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 3:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree with you, I also thought there was a separation of church and state.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:06 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Unfortunately there is no law in place that forces a separation. But it's become a general rule in order to comply with the law which bans discrimination against religion.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I think if a person wants to pray he or she should do so whenever and wherever they feel the need, and I feel if people don't want to pray, like to pray, or believe in prayer then they don't have to. They can take the extra couple of minutes to use the bathroom, dig for a piece of gum, or whatever else they like.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I think it is not necessary and if a person wanted to pray before that would be fine and their choice, but doing it on the House floor doesn't seem to fit with the separation of church and state as I see it. They are there to conduct the business of government, not to pray. I don't think many business meetings start off with a prayer either.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I really don't care. 10 years ago I worked as an accounting clerk for a company in rural South Carolina and they always started meetings with a long prayer. Then when I moved away to a big city up north,and got a new job, they NEVER prayed . It really doesn't matter to me either way.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes they should. A moment of silence would allow individuals time to pray, reflect, or in the case of Congress, remind themselves they're there to serve the people, not themselves.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 3:46 PM on May. 10, 2011