Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

His family has no rights to my children either right ?

My children's father signed over his rights to them after we got divorced ( he literally said that he wasn't going to pay child support for kids he didnt want to see) .

His family has never had anything to do with them either - they seen my oldest a few times when she was a baby ( she is 5 now ) and has never seen my youngest ( 3 y/o) ....

The sent me a facebook message saying they will take legal action to get them....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (21)
  • They cannot do anything.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 3:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • No, let them try they will get nowhere.....

    Answer by older at 3:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • Tell them good luck with that! Father signed over his rights, not much they can do. I doubt you're neglecting them or treating them badly so they have a chance in hell.

    Answer by Nanixh at 3:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • If he signed over his rights then the law doesn't see him as father to them. If he isn't their father then they aren't your kids relatives either. Block them on FB. You don't need that.

    Answer by meandrphoto at 3:04 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • If he actually signed over his rights, rather than just handing over custody, I doubt they can. Maybe visitiation because the legal system is wonky, but not custody

    Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:04 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • I would contact an attorney. Most would answer that question over the phone for no charge. And laws vary so much from one state to the next, so only an attorney with knowledge of your state's laws can correctly answer that question. Good luck!

    Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:04 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • I would contact an lawyer and talk to him/her about this and what your rights are. It would make me wonder what their angle is-- as they have not been an active part of your children's lives - then why are they suddenly interested in them now and claiming they will seek legal action?? I would try to dig around and see what reasons you can come up with for this sudden change on their part.... I would also give serious thought to deleting and blocking them on fb and not having any contact with them at all. Good luck!

    Answer by MizLee at 3:51 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • It's just blustering, trying to scare you. Just ignore them. As long as you are a fit parent, you have nothing to fear from anyone. And since he signed his rights away, I don't think any judge would award them anything. Block them on facebook.

    Answer by lilangilyn at 4:56 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • No there is nothing they can do . Don't let them scare you matter because there daddy sign over his rights.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 6:49 PM on May. 10, 2011

  • NOPE, in some states, if they had always been in their lives and THEN dad signed over the rights, they might have a case but at these ages, no way in hell

    Answer by JLS2388 at 8:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.