I need night time potty training advice?

My son does pretty well during the day but night time is hard for both of us. My husband and I both get up during the night and take him to the bathroom. We watch what he drinks during the day to help us train him to go by himself. My husband is gone this week and I did the night time wake up calls myself and I am EXHAUSTED! What has worked for you and your kids?

NkugbaMama

Asked by NkugbaMama at 3:10 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Letting her go without pants for a while during the day so she knew to still go even without pants on. Also we don't give her water before bedtime.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:11 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Put him in a pull up and wait for his body to be ready. Getting up and taking him is not doing anything for him, it's just driving you crazy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No drinks an hour (or more) before bed. Go potty last thing before climbing into bed. Go potty as soon as he wakes up in the morning.

There is usually a six month delay between night time and day time potty training.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Everyone told me that kids did the night time training themselves, and they were right.

My daughter wore those plastic covers with a extra layer of cloth diaper to bed for about 4 months after she was well day-time trained. and then all on her own, she started waking up completely dry, and on occasion waking us up in the night saying she needed to go potty...and just like that we were done.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 3:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My son has been "potty trained" for about 2 years but when we moved into a new home in December all the training kind of fell apart. So, we have been doing it all over again. And now I feel lost. He doesn't wear diapers or pull ups anymore. He goes #1 no problem during the day, #2 is driving me up a WALL! I bleach little white underwear and clean his bedding daily.
    Also, he can't go to school in the fall unless he is potty trained... how concerned do I need to be? I don't know.
    NkugbaMama

Comment by NkugbaMama (original poster) at 3:33 PM on May. 10, 2011

• You'll get him back on track after awhile for the day time. You have enough time beforeschool starts. Moving can be traumatic for kids. Don't stress out about night time dryness. Put him in pullups at night. Kids' bladders have to mature to be dry at night and it can only happen when their body is ready. I know kids who were 6, 8, even 10 before they were dry at night. Don't make him feel bad about it and it will happen. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:16 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I think I am just going to take the advice to chill out and let him work it out until he is naturally ready. We had a good week last week during the day but nights are still completely wet. So... we will continue to help him with his during the day potty training as usual and just wait on the evenings until he is good and ready. Thank you all again. Blessings.
    My little potty training issue can seem like the biggest thing going on in our lives sometimes. He is my only child and I am just trying to do right by him is all. Happy Parenting all.
    NkugbaMama

Comment by NkugbaMama (original poster) at 11:44 AM on May. 24, 2011