Opening my mail?

My husband told me yesterday that something came in the mail for me. When I saw my package it was opened. Needless to say I was disturbed by this, he had opened my package. He asked what it was and how I paid for it. Yes... we got into an argument. I don't want anything that I order or is mailed to me to be opened by anyone but myself. He feels I was wrong and he has the right to open my mail. I feel if its a bill, yes, other than that......NO! I don't opened packages he recieve. So was I over the top?

novice2008

Asked by novice2008 at 3:14 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• I dont know in your situation or not.
    For most part, I do not have a problem with my hubby opening things, unless its a gift - then I tell him, "I have something coming, dont open it"..... or its something that I want to open together, I'll tell him that as well.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 3:16 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Not over the top. I'd have been angry too. I agree with you completely; he can open bills but nothing else that comes in my name.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:16 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Well, it COULD have been a gift for him... I do that a lot. And if my husband were to open a gift I bought for him, I would return it and not let him have it. LOL But, I wouldn't really react too much if it wasn't... I'd just warn him that if he mistakenly opens something I've purchased to surprise him, he'll never get to use it. :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 3:16 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I half agree. if it was a gift for him and he opened it before or when I wasn't home i would be upset with him for it. but an everyday normal package nah, open away babe.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:17 PM on May. 10, 2011

• For me I could less if he opens my packages its not a secret that I ordered something in the first place..... If I order gifts for him I just tell him please don't open the box that is coming and he won't.

IMO if the argument was about you buying it and where the money came from to me there are bigger issues going on then him opening your mail.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 3:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No, in fact I will tease my man. When I get a package I will leave it unopened on the table for a couple of days. He's like, u gonna open it? I'm like, yeah eventually. But he never opens my crap and I never open his.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't think about it, I open most of the mail and packages that come into the house, a lot of things he orders are in my name (b/c of the credit card) so I never really know what is mine or his. But it just depends on your relationship, I think I would be more upset w/the questioning of how I paid for it.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:20 PM on May. 10, 2011

• different people have different boundaries and rules...... my husband always knows what I am expecting and vice versa. We discuss EVERYTHING with each other from the important to the mundane. We always open each others stuff ... you should have your own rules/boundries in place though!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would be upset since I ordered it and if he opened it, it's like someone opening my presents at Christmas. OR, it could have been something that I ordered for him as a gift.

SO doesn't open my stuff unless I ask him to but if he did, it would be rare.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I think it is against the law for people to open other peoples mail.

Personally if it is my DH, I do not care if he opens my mail.  I have nothing to hide.

Answer by louise2 at 3:23 PM on May. 10, 2011