Did you know, the US has no laws in place mentioning a Seperation of Church and State?

We have only TWO Federal laws regarding religion. One prohibits any religious test on those in office and frees government officials from being limited to any set beliefs. And the second simply gives us the freedom to follow whatever path we so choose... That's it... No separation laws...

Now, the better question is - SHOULD there be laws in place requiring a separation?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:15 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Yes. By allowing religion to pervade our elected officials' decisions etc, we essentially set ourselves up for government-sanctioned religion. Because we do not have (and hopefully never will have) a theocracy, it is not okay for government to favor one religion above another. I really abhor when religion is legislated (outlawing prostitution and polygamy and premarital sex and oral sex, etc). I want this to end and I want religious freedom for ALL people.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No, take God out of everything and see where it gets us, although, we are already so far gone.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:20 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I really abhor when religion is legislated (outlawing prostitution and polygamy and premarital sex and oral sex, etc). I want this to end and I want religious freedom for ALL people.

You and I both! I have been or am currently a member of groups meant to stop laws against such things... Right now, unfortunately the focus has had to be put on legalizing same sex marriage first... But once that's done, and it will be, I'll go back to the prostitution and polygamy fight...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I may be crazy, but I thought it was in the first amendment?
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The First Amendment begins "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

To me, anything like praying at the opening of sessions of Congress, or having the words "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance, seems to be respecting an establishment of religion. So I guess I don't think it's illegal to do these things, I think it's Unconstitutional.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Nope, the first amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

No mention of church and state...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The term "Seperation of Church and State" is actually an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state," as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists Association in 1802. The original text reads: "...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I knew that-its a principle not a law- and I agree- lets get same sex marriage allowable and go from there- but you know- I consider it a civil rights issue not a religious one- I feel like if the POTUS can send us to war with the stroke of a pen-why not use that pen to grant equal rights- Getting Bin Laden was great now do something really great and grant equal rights to your citizens (all of this gasp-from a Christian)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:53 PM on May. 10, 2011

• "The first amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

No mention of church and state... "

Unless you understand that Congress represents the State and religion represents "church". Going by that, it's saying that the State shall make no law in regard to the Church - thus representing, IMO, a separation of the "church" and the "state", seeing as the "state" is to pretty much stay out of the "church's" rights to practice freely ;)

I understand, though, that the term comes from Jefferson's own personal letters and is no where in the law or Constitution, etc, of the gov't. I do believe the amendment is meant to be understood as such a wall, though...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Interesting. Thanks Sabrina--you just helped me to answer a debate I'm involved in on another website.
    :)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 3:55 PM on May. 10, 2011