How do you feel about putting your child in day care?

I have heard so many stories about children in day care's and to be honest, i don't know how i will feel when my daughter is born to just drop her off with some random stranger!!! Am i just thinking way to much, or does anyone else feel this way?

kaelad123

Asked by kaelad123 at 3:18 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I bring my child to daycare and well, some people just have to do it in order to live ( we can't afford living on either of our incomes ) its not the best feeling in the world and I wish things were different however, he is learning social skills he wouldn't otherwise get, he's learning sharing and taking turns and really its not just a "choice" I get to make. He goes to daycare because I have to work. Period.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I couldn't. I worked in day care before I was a mom. Of course there are good care providers, but there is also a lot that goes on in day cares that just doesn't jive with my parenting ideals. I don't care if women must or just choose to work and they need to use day care. I simply did not become a mother to leave my small children with someone else all day. I had them because I wanted to be with them, to teach them and cuddle with them and read to them.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Most people have no choice. Keep looking for a daycare that looks and feels right to you. Drop in unannounced just to visit for a few minutes, you should be able to get a feel for the place. Good luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i cant afford it
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I was sad at first, but my kids are 5 and 3 and have been going to daycare since 8 and 6 weeks old. It is just something I have to do so my family can function. My husband doesn't make much money at his job, so mine is the main income.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I like dropping her off at daycare because I'm not ever going to be a good SAHM (and I wouldn't want to anyway). I also like knowing that she's well-cared for & I did my homework. The only time I feel a little queasy is when I write those checks ... gah I'll be looking forward to the day when that's a thing of the past.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 3:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• You don't have to drop your child off with a stranger. Unless your looking for care beginning next week or two you've got plenty of time to investigate and get to know the person who will care for your child in your absence. Finding an educated, experienced professional to provide early care and education for your child can benefit your entire family.

Here is a link to a non-profit organization that can help you find a licensed child care provider in your area.

http://childcareaware.org/

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I had a bad experience with day care when my oldest was a baby and vowed mine would never go back. They never did. I told myself then if I couldnt afford to stay home with them until they were old enough to communicate what might be going on while away from me then I didnt need more kids. I dont agree with placing a child in daycare unless absolutely needed. I prefer family to babysit, or for me to stay home.

Answer by gemgem at 3:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• When my first 2 children were born I had to work so I looked for a day care that I was comfortable with. Luckily for me I found a great woman when my oldest first started going. She was close to work and didn't mind if I stopped by during lunch. When we moved and I needed a new day care I again looked for a home day care. I found a woman who was married to a friend of ours and she was great. I think you have to ask a lot of questions, talk to people who already have children in day care. also if you have any friends that are SAHM ask them if they might be interested in earning some extra money. At times it is hard although my children loved their day care so much they never gave me a hard time about going and sometimes they didn't want to leave when I picked them up.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I had my son in daycare when he was about 2 and I was trying to go to school. It was the worst choice I could have made. The only recommendation the place had was that it was on campus, and my MIL worked there. I LOVE my MIL.

He was placed in the wrong room, initially. He was bitten a LOT when he was finally placed in the RIGHT room. He didn't talk much, or well, so he got overlooked and ignored. There were too many kids and not enough teachers (7:1 kid/teacher ratio).

I pulled him out when he was 3 1/2 and his little sister was born. That was the best thing I could have done.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:54 PM on May. 10, 2011