Worst display of parenting you have witnessed latly?

I've seen many, but one that sticks out in my mind at the moment is earlier today I was walking home from the store, and a lady walked by with a kid, maybe 1 year old(guessing, as it had alot of hair, sitting up and was about that size) with a can of pepsi and a straw in it. sipping away! ugg..and it was pepsi, as I saw the dark liquid through the straw. The mom had another in the cup tray holder thingy. poor kid.

minimo77

Asked by minimo77 at 3:25 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Last night we had softball and this mom and dad were telling their twin boys to stop rolling down the hill. At the bottom of the hill was a bunch of rocks, and I mean jagged rocks the rec center put there to catch water, and really for decoration. They didnt get up to stop their boys, just yelled at them "STOP I SAID TO STOP!". They were maybe 5-10 ft from them and yelling and yelling and saying they were going to beat their butts blah blah. My husband turned around and told them to get up and get their kids and stop yelling.

Answer by gemgem at 3:29 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My sister...She left my niece with my Mom for almost 8 mos while she weas in jail. My niece is just now starting to realize that if Mommy leaves she will come home again. Now my sister wants to send my niece back to us for the Summer b/c she needs a break. This is going to completely destroy the stability that my niece is just starting to build at her new home.

Totally selfish parenting that is only making decisions that will benefit Mommy not the child.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Ran into a mom from school at the grocery store ... got to talking, catching up and she mentioned her oldest was just diagnosed ADHD and that she had been researching how diet played a role. Her shopping cart looked like a frickin' rainbow! Artificial this and artificial that and processed junk and prepackaged everything. Not one piece of fruit or a vegetable or meat, just crap loaded with chemicals and colorings and preservatives and stuff that probably has a shelf life of 1,000 years. Ick.
    Anonymous

• My BIL and SIL who are recently divorced. They are so hell bent on revenge against eachother that they are destroying those children.
    Anonymous

• young couple across street from us (they're 19, 20 tops) w/ colic crazy newborn. left him on front stoop in bouncer.... the wind seems to shush him. but they leave him there. I don't know where they go (inside) but for long stretches of time. he's a handsome caucasian newborn. he could fetch 6 figures on the black market. WTF are they thinking? I watch him from the window because it freaks me out. our neighborhood has sex offenders too
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:41 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Seriously, drinking soda is the WORST thing you've seen? Sure its not recommended and not healthy......I need to move to your area or something.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 3:42 PM on May. 10, 2011

• We were out on Mother's Day at a petting farm that had jungle gyms. There was a kid around 6 years old pulling his little brother about 2 up the top of the jungle gym by his neck. The Mom starts yelling "stop (name), stop you'll strangle him" but never went over to help. The little one cried & cried & he dropped the kid. The Mother start's C'mon lets go & the kid screams over & over NO,NO,NO!!! Then fake cries & she continues on "let's go". & the kid totally ignore her & laughs. She just stands there & says "c'mon honey, want an ice cream??" No reprimand, just give the kid sweets to promote bad behavior! She should have grabbed that child & gone home immediately with no treats. How's the child to learn good behavior if you reward bad behavior?

Anonymous

• Ochsmom-No, not the worst I've seen, but what was bugging me today. Understand?
    minimo77

Comment by minimo77 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have a neighbor who has 3 kids. The husband works sporadically & is one of the sorriest excuses for a father I've ever seen. He favors one child over the other 2 and his love in contingent on how well the kids perform in a particular sport. And I'm afraid he may be at times physically as well as emotionally abusive.

Oh, & they are in arrears on their mortgage, but spend $1000's on sports, including private clinics. All 3 kids have been held back but they refuse to spend money on scholastic tutors.

All 3 kids are completely out of control, but it is clearly just a desperate need for attention they don't get at home.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 3:56 PM on May. 10, 2011

• when my dd is at dance class there is a grandfather that waits outside with his grand daughter and he is so terrible with her. he degrades her, talks down to her in a condesending way and it makes me crazy. one day he outright yelled at the girls and when they cried he screamed that he didn't care about their feelings. i dread going to class and having to hear his voice.
    sportymama123

Answer by sportymama123 at 4:31 PM on May. 10, 2011