Is it more important to be happy at what you are doing or just making money?

I ask because I really don't like what I do at all. I make decent enough money but am totally unhappy with what I do. Would you rather live on a very tight budget and like what you do or have money that you can be alittle freer with and hate your job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would rather live on a tight budget and love what I'm doing. As long as we have enough money to pay our bills and put food on the table, clothing on my children's back....I'm a happy camper.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:31 PM on May. 10, 2011

• guess it depends on if you can pay the bills...
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:39 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I happy worker works harder and generally earn more... So I think happiness is a huge factor!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:39 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree with Sabrina, happiness is a huge factor. I wouldn't necessarily expect to LOVE a job. It is still a job. There are always going to be bad days. But you shouldn't hate it either. Somewhere in the middle should be a job that has more up days than down and a decent living. Something that sparks your creativity even in your off hours. Something you can puzzle out in your sleep and wake up fresh ready to go solve the world's problems.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 4:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• lovemydog..how very well said, you expressed exactly what I am feeling. I don't expect my job to be something I LOVE necessarily. But you said it so well when you said "sparks your creativity even in your off hours" That is why I am even posting this question. I took a couple days off and I accomplished so much and I felt great and full of energy. When I came back to work I came to realize that it is my job that sucks the life out of me. When I get done with work I just go home and I am ready to go to bed. I sit all day at a computer and I think what makes me happy and feel better is to be at a job that is more physical and keeps me moving and that actually makes me more motivated on my off hours.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I think I would rather be happy as long as bills were paid. Have you ever thought about your own business. Something fun that you could make a little or a lot of money. If you are interested,message me!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 6:29 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Honestly, it is ALWAYS good to like what you do!! If you don't, you could be bringing negative attention into your home, and that in itself will put a strain on things. But, if you want to quit, you might want to have a back up plan. I work from home with a wonderful company, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can provide for my family, I love the team and support group that I have as well as the money I make! You may or may not be interested, but I would be more than happy to show you what I do!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 9:52 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Being happy is important. Not only for you but for your employer. If you are not happy it effects you state of mind and health. Life is too short for that. They other side to that is for the employer if you are not happy it is not fair to them either. You are not able to give 100%. I had an employee where I knew her husband had pushed her to get a job, she did not want to be working. Then you add the driver she had to make and the stress of our industry, I could tell she was a basket case inside. Great lady, wonderful person, great mother.....I finally asked her if she was happy at her job and she burst out crying indicating she hated it. Good luck with your decision be fair first to yourself and then take your employeer into consideration also.
    dukester050128

Answer by dukester050128 at 3:45 PM on May. 14, 2011