My baby screams everytime we get in the car!

My 6 month old scream hysterically every single time I take him anywhere in the car. I have never seen a baby do this, usually they are the opposite and love car rides and pass out almost instantly. He has done this pretty much since birth, so now I avoid taking him anywhere unless I have to. Anyone ever go through this before? If so how did you handle it? Any sugesstions on how to make him calmer he just acts terrified of the car!?

littleguys_rule

Asked by littleguys_rule at 1:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, my 1 year old still does this. Just 2 more lbs until he can go forward facing! I try to schedule everything so that we are in the car when he is napping. I don't put him in the carseat until he is sleeping. If I can't schedule it that way, then he will usually cry the entire time. There's not much I can do but let him cry.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• yeah my son did that starting at about 7-8 weeks. he hated the carseat, that was all. i just learned to live with the screaming if i had to go anywhere, because nothing i did worked. he eventually grew out of it at about 4 months
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• YES! and If I had a radio to drown her out I would use. So I avoid going long distances with her. When we go in Dadd'ys car he turns to radio up loud to drown her out. I wish I knew what to do!
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Oh you poor thing. My first did this. The only thing that stopped it was when I prematurely put him in a forward facing seat , as soon as he could sit up on his own.. I couldn't handle the screaming any more!
    Anonymous

• Yes.. My son is 10 months old and he still screams everytime we go in the car.. WOW I thought I was the only person going insane.. I try to sit in the back with him if my husband is driving so that we can play, sing and eat snacks... But it doesnt always work.. I used to try to put the music up but that just makes me go even more crazy.. Alot of people told me that I should take him in the car everyday even if it just around the block to get him used to the car.. But didnt work.. Maybe it will for you.. Good Luck!!! I know how you feel..
    airmom04

Answer by airmom04 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My son is six months as well and does the same thing whenever I put him in his carseat. He'll cry for about a minute at the most during the ride, then he falls asleep. Try some soft music. It seems to help my fussy butt(my son).
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• One of my LO's was like this also- make sure you are putting them into the seat with a dry diaper, make sure they are not too hot or too cold, give s/he a pacifier if you use one, a comfy blanket or stuffed animal friend, Make sure that the carseat doesn't need to be adjusted- are the straps rubbing them in an umconfortable way- too tight?, Can baby see out the window? Removing the sun screen helps sometimes- let them see the world, make it a fun experience- happy mommy no matter how much they yell (Thats a hard one but worth it : ) & finger food and juice/milk. If all that fails just know that eventually they will outgrow this behavior.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 3:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My son is 4 months and was always like that. I just had to let him scream. I hate letting him CIO but I couldn't pull over to comfort him every 30 seconds so I just let him cry. If I had to get somewhere, I had no choice. I think he's gotten used to it because he's much better now. We have a little child mirror thing with a monkey head on it that straps to the headrest and so he just stares and laughs at it the whole time. He still rarely ever falls asleep in the car so we think he just likes to sightsee now lol. It also seems to help him if we turn the radio up or roll down the window a little cuz he likes the noise!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2008