how do i explain pueberty to my daugthet

she is 11

gma0525

Asked by gma0525 at 3:35 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why did you wait so long?
    Anonymous

• first ask her what she knows or has heard. then correct anything that she is misinformed about. ask her if she has questions and take it from there. I bet she knows more than you think she does.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have to agree with Anon, why did you wait so long? I explained it to my oldest as the "changes" his body will go through. I told him his body makes chemicals and as he gets older it will make more of them which will cause lots of things to happen... And then we talked about the changes that his body will go through and the changes that a girls body will go through. There are lots of books out there to help with this, but chances are, since you waited so long, she already knows most of it. If she's in school they usually cover this stuff in 4th or 5th grade.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:48 PM on May. 10, 2011

• theres books u can get on it.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 3:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• you sit her down and explain what her body is going through and yes, books are available... don't leave out the emotional toll or the hormones. When we sat down with ds, we also explained what girls were going to go through and why you don't tease anyone for the changes in their body as you are going through it to and everyone goes through it at a different rate
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 11:22 AM on May. 11, 2011

• First of all Mom, you read and educate yourself (ASAP). Then as MRS.MWF said you ask questions and clear up any misconceptions. I have to agree with Anon. 11 is really late to be having this talk, Im assuming you havent had the sex talk either??!! Again, educate yourself, find what works for you and just be HONEST with her. My daughters are 7 & 10 and they can tell you all about rape, sex, and puberty. A little young I know, but its not like when we were 7 & 10. You want to put what you want her to know in her head now, so that no one can approach her with some b.s. and have her believing it. And if they do approach her with it, she can proudly say, naaahh my mom already talked to me about that and thats not what she said. Its time Mom. Talk to your daughter!!! Good luck.
    Mommiie_of_4

Answer by Mommiie_of_4 at 6:30 PM on May. 11, 2011