Should parents with life threatening illnesses have to give up custody?

This mom did...

Judge Cites Mom's Breast Cancer in Denying Custody of Children

What do you think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:51 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I didn't read the article but my opinion is this If the life threatning illness effects her ability to take care of her children then yes she should not have custody. If the illness is one where she will be in bed all day for days on end it is not possible for her to take care of her children. And the childrens well being should always come first.

If it is just because she has the illness and nothing else. She is functioning and capable of taking care of her children then NO she should not be denied custody.
    Anonymous

• On the surface, it seems very wrong. But, like the article hinted to, there are probably many other fators involved. There might be some concerning history, as well.

My guess is that agreements have been made not to talk about some things because they may embarass the mom or the family.

It is a sad situation.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I agree the children's welfare should ALWAYS come first. But in THIS CASE the mother has breast cancer and is not laid up in bed or anything like that. She's perfectly capable of taking care of her child.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't think so as long as she isn't on her death bed and capable to take care of the children, but even then I would pray she had a good support system so that she could keep the children
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:08 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I just finished the article and honestly it breaks my heart....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Should children have to be FORCED to watch their mother deteriorate and die? It is unfortunate that they can't be with their mother but, how well can she care for them while she is dying? I think the husband is an asshole and a jerk and he should have to take the children to see their mother OFTEN but, he is not wrong in asking that he be the primary caregiver of the children.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:29 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Wow. No way. It states there were other factors, but if that were the case i see no reason to bring up her illness at all. It stated something along the lines of it being detrimental to kids to live with an ill parent. I don't agree with that logic at all. Obviously a child seeing their parent dying in front of them will have effects to their emotional state, but in a way that is just a natural part of life. I see it being much more distressing for them now and the rest of their lives knowing they were forced to miss that precious time with their mom while she was still here and stable. The only way I might agree is if they had a severe degenerative illness that prevented them from caring for the kids.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 4:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• As long as parents can care for their children they should never be forced to give them up.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No. If they can care for them, or can get help in caring for them, they should not lose custody. How horrible for that woman...she has breast cancer AND loses her child.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• As a mom, I feel so heartbroken for her. on one hand I'm debating all the logistics.. she doesn't have a job, what happens if she suddenly develops problems or dies in the home leaving the children alone in the home with her? how is watching their mother die, going to effect the children, emotionally, psychologically?
    all these things come to mind and I can on one hand see how the judge could make the ruling he/she made.. then I put myself in her shoes.. and I just want to break down and cry and say no, you can't rip the children away from their mother who obviously loves them above and beyond all else. Has never abused her children, has no mental history that we know about.. and really just wants to get as much time as she can with her children before she passes if it gets to that point. And I can't in my heart say she should loose them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:44 AM on May. 11, 2011