Baby that just wants to be held

k so I have a 1 mth old at home now his name is Julian. We have to hold him most of the day because he will not stay asleep very long in the crib. i have tried letting him cry till he falls asleep on his own but its like he will never get tired of crying. I was putting him on his belly to sleep and it worked for like 2 days now its the same thing. we have tried the swing and the bouncer and it doesnt work. WHAT DO I DO??//

Sweetmom2006

Asked by Sweetmom2006 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well at that age they want you to hold them and put them to sleep, that's all they really know. after you let him cry for about 2minutes, then you can hold him and put him to sleep. as he gets older gradually start upping the time, 2 minutes now, 3 minutes at 2 months, 4 minutes at 3 months, ect. GL
    Anonymous

• Babies need to be held. Period. And stop letting him cry himself to sleep! Even 'experts' recommend you don't do this to anyone under 4-6 months of age!

At this young age: babies need their mom. Their needs and wants are the same. He's not crying to piss you off. He's crying because he needs something, and that need could be holding. Invest in a sling and keep him close.
    Nobody likes to be left alone to cry, especially a baby that has no idea as to what is going on.
    Hang in there, momma! It's tough but it does get easier!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I would recommend buying a baby sling to put him in so you can get housework done. That's the only way I was able to do anything until my ds was old enough to occupy himself. When he was like 6 or 7 weeks he started to like sitting in his bouncy chair or swing.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 2:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Try swaddling him. They like that closed in feeling. I'm a fan of CIO, but not at 1 month old.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• read the "happiet baby on the block". and stop letting him cry, he's too young. enjoy the cuddle time now, the older they get, the less snuggle time.

plus, my daughter's doc says that you cannot spoil a baby less than six months old by holding them all the time.
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• There might be something wrong with him. Maybe you should see his ped. But try swaddling him. Maybe he is jerking, and scaring himself. You should'nt let him cry to sleep though. Ecspecially not too long. Because it will make him lose trust in you, and think that you won't come to help him. I learned that in an infant class. GL
    Anonymous

• The sling and boob were my lifeline for the first 12 weeks. Hang in there. At least he is small. Mine is 24 pounds and still wants to be held all day. They love thier mommy's.
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 6:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Just hold him. He'll only be little once.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2008