Shouldn't SHE have known how to pronounce them??

My son's school had this day where they can bring in a guest to sit in to observe the class today. They had this segment where the teacher gave them a sheet with pics of different desert plants and she gave clues as to which one she was referring to.
She had no idea how to pronounce about 3/4 of them! I begrudgingly spoke up and told the kids at my table how to say them,and then the teacher came to me to ask how to say some of the names! Sigh...Granted they were spanish names,(saguarro,jojoba,creosote) but shouldn't she know how to pronounce them? They kids are going to be saying it wrong!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 4:16 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Just for Fun

• well, she is after all working in the EDUCATION department. therefore it's her job to make sure she pronounces words correctly to the young minds that are going to absorb what she says.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• If you are going to use the plants as examples, then you most definitely should know the proper pronunciation of the names. If she couldn't say the names, she should have picked easier plants - aloe, cactus, sagebrush...
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• She should have looked up the pronunciations. It sounds like she didn't prepare herself properly.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Not if they aren't given a pronunciation key to go with the lesson. Teachers aren't Omnipotent.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:25 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Wow, someone sure ate a big bowl of bitchy for breakfast today....
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I'd have no clue how to pronounce them either
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:18 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I hate when that happens. shouldn't the teacher learn how to do all of this before class?!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• BUMP!
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 4:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• She could have looked over her own lesson and figured them out. That said I purposely say JOJOBA wrong just because it sounds funny! But, I am not teaching my kids that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:25 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes, she should have. My son had a teacher who mis-identified a plant. I gently told her the correct name, in private, and she said she was staying with the other name- the wrong plant.

Answer by Bmat at 4:32 PM on May. 10, 2011