IS THE "Prosperity Gospel" TAUGHT IN YOUR CHURCH??

PLEASE I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE THE BIBLE SHOWS US THIS? I HAVE BEEN TALKING TO A FRIEND OF MINE WHO SAYS THAT THE BIBLE TEACHES THIS AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT BIBLE VERSES SHOW THIS.

AND FOR THOSE LIKE MYSELF WHO DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS "DOCTRINE" WHEN DID THIS START BEING TAUGHT.??

I DO KNOW THAT THE FOLLOWING MINISTERS FREAQUENTLY SPEAK ABOUT THIS.. I JUST HAVE NEVER UNDERSTOOD WHERE THEY GET IT FROM.?

John Bevere, Markus Bishop, Morris Cerullo, Kim Clement, Kenneth Copeland, Paul Crouch, Creflo Dollar, Kenneth Hagin, Marilyn Hickey, Benny Hinn, Rodney Howard-Browne, T.D. Jakes, Bishop Eddie L. Long, Miles Munroe, Steve Munsey, Mike Murdock, Joel Osteen, Rod Parsley, Fred Price, Oral Roberts, R.W. Shambach, Robert Schuller, Karl Strader, Robert Tilton

friends4me

Asked by friends4me at 1:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't like to call it the "prosperity gospel" and it's not a doctrine. Some of the ones you listed you have to listen to their messages and teachings in context... John Bevere doesn't really teach prosperity gospel.. he was just at our church. Some you listed I don't agree with their teaching at all - namely Robert Tilton. However, I do not believe God wants us poor. If we are poor how will we give and reach our communities. If i'm poor what can I offer the poor man on the street.. hey here's Jesus but you have to stay cold and hungry? For many of these who teach it's okay to have money and be blessed financially.. it's so the gospel can be spread.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• cont. TV stations and going to other countries and feeding the poor doesn't come cheap. As my pastor puts it... Budweiser is not paying the pg&e bill. Do I believe that there are ministers who abuse the prosperity teaching? Yes. Do I think it's okay for Pastors to have nice things? Yes. I don't think a pastor or pastors family have to be poor and go without. TV stations and going to other countries and feeding the poor doesn't come cheap.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• cont. I don't think a pastor or pastors family have to be poor and go without. I don't think pastors whould have to go out and find a second job because there full-time job as pastors can't support them. BTW the bible does say those who teach the word (pastors etc.) should receive double pay.
    bonn777

• I totally disagree with the "prosperity doctrine" that a lot of these emergent churches are preaching. I don't think it's Biblical at all. God never promises us financial blessings or even our fleshly desires. Anytime it talks about desires being given it always comes after our total focus and contentment in God. Psalm 37:4 for instance says " Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.". How do we receive our desires? By delighting in God ~ meaning coming to the place where God is truly our all, we don't need or want anything else. God fulfills us and sustains us. And I'm willing to bet, when we do get to the place of delight our "fleshly" desires fall to the wayside as we realize that we don't need more money, or more things, or a higher status...we just want God and rest in Him. Does God bless us? Of course but in His way, His timing and from His perspective.

con't....
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 1:47 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Not to mention blessings come when our hearts are pure and full of good intentions. By preaching "God will prosper you...." is allowing our hearts to become full of want and greed and discontent when it doesn't happen. That's not godly. Motive is everything. Why do we want God to prosper us? So we can buy a bigger house, a second car, more clothing, that dream vacation? Way wrong motives there!

God prospered Solomon....but why? Because Solomon didn't ask for riches or honor or long life but for wisdom. There's a pure heart. (2 Chronicles 1:11)

Ecclesiastes 6:1-3 speaks about what happens when our hearts desire and motive focus on the flesh not on the Lord.

Anytime Scripture talks about prosperity it comes after they delight in God. After their hearts are made pure and their motives clean. Just wanting more because God said he'd give it is a wrong way of thinking.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 1:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• 2 Corinthians 8:9, Psalm 35:27, Deuteronomy 8:18, Isaiah 48:17, 3 John 1:2, Matthew 7:11, Ps. 23: 1, Mark 10:29-30 (I like this one because it says we receive not only when we go to heaven, but also now), Eph. 4:28, Philippians 4:19, Luke 6:38, Ecc. 5:19, Prov. 15:16... this is just a few. There are many versus regarding God's blessing, and prosperity, for His Children.. not just in the life to come but now.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 2:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I agree that blessings will come on earth as well as heaven but...what do those blessings look like. Is it only in a financial way? No, and I believe most times it's not. What is poor? How do you define that? God promised to meet our needs according to his glorious riches NOT our wants. My bills are paid but we don't have an abundance of money. We would be considered poor. Does that mean God isn't blessing us? Absolutely not! We have incredible friends, a wonderful church family, our health, a steady job for my husband. Those are blessings but they aren't in the form of dollars. Can I give to the homeless man? Well, I can't give him enough to get him off the street but I can pay for his meal or give him a blanket, I can give him love. Perhaps some don't see that as God's love or blessing but I do.

con't....
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 2:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• There is a very fine balance between want and need. God will prosper us in love, unity, hope, a future, and provision of needs. It's not all about money. The more we focus on financial blessings the more we miss the big picture. Prosperity isn't a bad thing. Having nice things isn't a sin. It's where our heart lies.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 2:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I actually received an email today with this teaching - What Riches Were Meant to Do

"Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth."
    (Ephesians 4:28)

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• cont.
    It always amazes me when I preach about prosperity and someone comes up to me and says, "I don't need much prosperity. I'm a simple person with a simple life. So I just ask God for enough to meet my needs."

They think that's humility, but it's not. It's selfishness! They don't realize it, but they're actually saying, "All I care about is meeting my own needs. I have no ambition to help meet anyone else's
    bonn777