Tummy time

when did u start tummy time with your baby?

TatymMommi

Asked by TatymMommi at 4:21 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can start it right away but a lot of babies really hate it and it's much easier once baby can at least control his head on his own. In the early days I would lay down with my dd on my chest to give her some tummy time and that went over much better than putting her down on a blanket. I know they say x amount of minutes each day, but I just did it a few times a day for as long as she would tolerate and figured something was better than nothing. Playing with them and showing them toys or a mirror to look at during tummy time can help, too, but those come in handy after baby is at least a month or two old.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• at around 2 months.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 4:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• With both my girls I started the day they were born. My mom did tell me that they were both very strong for being newborns because they could hold their heads up briefly from day one and could turn their heads from side to side while on their tummies. But I have no idea because they're the only newborns I really know. Lol! I plan to start right away with all my kids. :-)
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 4:50 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Oh, and if the baby is getting mad about tummy time you can try getting down on your tummy beside him and talking to him and playing with him. Once they get to be about a month or two old then when they get frustrated I'll usually leave them for a minute (maybe a small bit more if I'm in the middle of something that can be finished quickly) but will pick them up after that and try again later in the day. Letting them have that little bit of frustration time can sometimes help them acheive what their trying to do but I also don't like leaving them in that place for too long. My first loved tummy time and she would stay there for up to a hour or so before she got tired of it. She hit all her milestones on time or a little early. My second hated tummy time at first and I gave it to her in snatches throughout the day and she hit all of her milestones REALLY early. I guess what I'm trying to say is to listen to your instincts.Don't
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 4:54 PM on May. 10, 2011

• let people tell you how it's "supposed" to be done. In my opinion how you do tummy time depends on the child-although I do agree that giving them some time is very important. :-) But how long, in how many increments, I feel that depends on the baby and their personality.
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 4:57 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I started right off with my dd. She gets upset after about 5 minutes or so but atleast some time is better than no time.
    CorkyMamma10

Answer by CorkyMamma10 at 5:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I started at two months for both my children and they both enjoyed it alot, theyd stay on their tummy for 10,15 minutes sometimes
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 7:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• So far my DD loves tummy time and she can move her head side to side and look around and hold up her head a lil bit too! she seems to fall asleep if i leave her there too long!
    TatymMommi

Comment by TatymMommi (original poster) at 8:51 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I've been doing it since my daughter was born. She does really good with it for about 10 minutes..
    kaitensmommy

Answer by kaitensmommy at 4:13 PM on May. 11, 2011