Does anyone else feel repulsed by organized religion?

Is there anyone else there who feels pushed away from their religious affiliation because of the elitist and discriminatory views of other members? Does anyone else stop going to church because they can't stand the anti-gay, anti-Muslim, anti-Jewish talk? Does anyone else think people are hateful when they say someone is not going to heaven because of X,Y, orZ? It is a shame. I miss my worship. But, I can't take the evil in the members that comes with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Christian... And I'll be honest... Christians can be some of the NICEST, sweetest people you could ever meet. Some of them are so wonderful, you KNOW they know God... And some are backstabbing hypocrites who'd rather talk about you than God... I decided a long time ago that I don't NEED to go to church to worship God, or to love Him... Hope I answered your question. I tried :)
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 4:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• sorry, i've never encountered that IRL..at least not from a general congregation or church. i have a family member or three who bend in that direction..but i don't go to their churches, and i can choose when and how much time to spend with them, also. :))

I miss my worship. But, I can't take the evil in the members that comes with it.--

what is worship for? your God (assuming here) or your fellow church members?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:36 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Nope, my religious affiliation is about a relationship with God, not a social network.
    I have wonderful people in my church. Humble and kind, but I am in it for life, not friends. Friends are just an added benefit
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:38 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I am a Christian, raised as a Baptist. However I do not attend church regularly because I know that many of the people who regularly attend church are doing so because they feel it saves their soul because they are not really doing what they should on a day to day basis. They go out and do whatever they want, party on the weekends, etc and then they come to church every Sunday to ask forgiveness when they don't really mean it. In my experience, many of the members of the churches that I have attended have been honest, hard working, bible believing Christians who are very kind, and live their life in the manner they should. However it is that other small percent that really turn me off to going to church every weekend. And the last church I attended, I had a woman tell a friend of mine that her husband, who was at that time deployed to IRAQ in a war time, was going to hell because while over there he questioned the existence
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:38 PM on May. 10, 2011

• God because of what he had seen and been through. I will not be part of something that is going to tell a military wife, who is asking for comfort for her husband, that he is going to Hell. I don't personally believe you have to go to church or even BE in an organized religion to be a Christian, to be a believer in God and live life in His honor.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:39 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I do, but I do not need a church or any specific religion to worship.

Answer by older at 4:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My church is nothing like you mention-so my answer would be -no
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:09 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Honestly no because I've known elitist and discriminatory people inside and outside of church. I do my best to be kind to everyone and surround myself with caring people, who I also find both inside and outside of church.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I stopped going to church for these reasons: I do not believe Jesus died on the cross nor do I believe he was born of a virgin. I also do not go because most churches (not all of course) have a hidden agenda. They teach according to how they perceive and what they feel is right and wrong. I do not like the stares, the whispers, the having to dress perfectly or the judgement I have received over the years and when i was younger. I do not appreciate the judgement of thinking someone else's belief is wrong and mine is right.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:18 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I personally have found myself in a more personal faith and rely less on "organized religion". I realize that it's not all "that bad", but I feel I can do better on my own. I constantly read and study and cultivate my faith my own way, outside of church. It works for me, and that's all that really matters, IMO.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:19 PM on May. 10, 2011