Children with problems with over eatting

i wanted to see how Meany women out there have kids with compulsive  eating disorder . I'm raising my step son and have been since he was 6 but when he lived with him bio mother she starved him leaving him with an unhealthy view on food . he is now 10 and is a slim boys as he hyper how ever he will eat till he is sick. he see food and thinks it's must be eating . he dose not know when he full and is mixes up feeling with hunger so will tell me he is starving when he is not . at home we have a very good system for him and he knows when is snack time and meal times i give him adult meals as i find it hard to know how much to feed him . its a hard line as you want to feed him enough so he not hunger but not to much.

people meet him and i tell them he got a problem with over eating and they don't believe me.  i totally get it he dose not look like he dose as he is slim  so people don't believe me until they see it i have the most problems at parties or places where there food about school have described him as obsessed with food . he begs food of people telling them we don't feed him. school have seen the full extent of his problems and were shocked how bad it is , psychologist say there not surprised because of his past  and will go over why he got the problems he dose but no one really tell us what to do or how to help. i feel very alone like no one understands . my step son all so has a problem called attachment disorder it looks like adhd but its not

so I'm looking to see if there other mum out there with kids with compulsive eating disorder

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son was like that when we took him from his BM. They didn't feed him on a regular schedule so, he never knew when his next meal would be so he ate all he possibly could in each sitting. We have FINALLY started getting that under control. We give him correct portions, hide ALL junk food, {try} to buy only food that has to be prepared (so he can't get into it, I know its mean) he is starting to learn on his own after 2 years about how to eat correct amounts. Everyone he come into contact with had to be told about his eating issues and we were very clear that he is not allowed to pick out his own food, it had to be given to him. If we set out a bowl of pretzels or something we had to watch him because he would eat them as fast as he could so, he had to pick one up put it in his mouth put both hands on the table, eat the pretzel and then he could get another one now, it is just automatic with him. Good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:48 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My son also has RAD but, he has been doing a lot better since being with us full time. When he think he is starving take him outside and get his mind off of food. We got Alex at 3.5 and I adopted him when he was 5.5. He has not had contact with BF in almost a year and his symptoms of attachment problems are lessening.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:53 PM on May. 10, 2011

• my ss was with his bm till he was 4 but had contact with him upto a few years ago when he said he never want to see her again . he dose not have rad just attachment disorder but his older sister who is in and up of care dose . i also have a step daughter she got problems but not at or rad she doing well she seen bm upto a few months ago but bm decided to stop contact till sd is older . my ss eat so fast i don't think he taste so strong tasting tooth paste upsets him . we have to keep food hidden and we give out the food so we know what he getting we don't allow him to swap food and stuff . sometimes he dose great and then he dose something and you feel like its all a lie

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:20 PM on May. 10, 2011