Anyone with a teenager who has Crohn's Disease?

My 13 y/o DS has Crohn's and has been in remission since he was 10. He has recently become horrible at taking his meds and I'm starting to worry he may be going back into exacerbation. I try to give him a bit of independence when it comes to taking his meds, but I don't like the results. His GI MD suggested stepping back and allowing him to take a more active responsibility for his meds, but he hasn't. I'm gonna take back over and become the Dictator Mom from somewhere. Anyone have any experience with this? Any Mom's with experience with LO's with chronic diseases and meds?

sneakyboo

Asked by sneakyboo at 4:36 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Health

• That is a tough one. I can see giving him the freedom to take his meds. But you don't want to compromise his health. From what I know of Crohn's..it is pretty painful when it is flaring up. Is there a reason he doesn't like taking it?
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:42 PM on May. 10, 2011

• He just doesn't take it. No particular reason. I set up his meds weekly and even with reminders, I will go in and the meds will still be in there.
    sneakyboo

Comment by sneakyboo (original poster) at 4:44 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My kids were pretty forgetful at 13 for doing tings- I would just remind him daily.
    If it's like ulcerative colitis- there is NO way I would let him be in charge of remembering...hubby (who has that) even forgets at times
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:14 PM on May. 10, 2011