Would you send your child to school in pants that are at least 4 inches too short or shoes where the bottoms are literally falling off?

I noticed my son's friend Drew was dressed in a too tight T shirt,jeans that were like capris on him,and the heels of his shoes were completely detached. i get that they probably don't want to buy new pants yet,or new school shoes,but couldn't they hit up Goodwill or something and get him some in-between stuff? I've found alot of new or like new stuff there.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 4:43 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, but sometimes people have too much pride to go where they can get clothes for their child at a price (or free) that they can afford.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:17 PM on May. 10, 2011

• If that's all I had and couldn't afford anything else.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:44 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't send my kids to school like that BUT I went to school like that. My parents were poor, very poor, we were lucky enough just to have food to eat. We went to school in rags with holes in our shoes. Maybe these parents are just soooooo broke they can't afford even thrift shop clothing. Maybe you could get some clothes for that child and take them to his parents.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:45 PM on May. 10, 2011

• You have no way of knowing what's going on in another person's home. No idea the bills that have to be paid, the job lost, the person outside the house being supported.

I agree with meooma, if you feel that badly for the child, buy him some clothes
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:54 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have. It's not like I can jump up and run to the store at 7am when he shows me the only thing he has left are clothes that don't fit, are ripped up or dirty. I don't have a car and we can only shop when my husband has off and we have the money. My son (9) went to school for almost a month with a huge hole in the side of his shoes, the soles coming off and they were too small. That's life. All of his jeans have holes in them. I refuse to buy more just for him to rip them up in a month.
    My girls go to school in clothes that don't fit all the time. Because they refuse to wear the new stuff I bought them. They don't want to give up their old clothes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Sometimes there isn't enough at the end of the month for some people, for Goodwill
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:44 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I am guilty of the too short pants. My husband's family, and my children are extremely tall and thin. SO, in order for pants to fit on the waist, the legs are a little short. If they are fine, lengthwise, then the waist is falling down. We do tailor and custom for my husband, but it makes no sense to do that for toddlers who go through clothes like candy.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:48 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Never.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 5:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Really how do you know?? I've known DOCTORS (Yes doctors) who are so hard up for cash they tell family members NOT to cash check they mailed for $50 for Christmas/birthdays until a certain date. Unless you truly see their check book you have no idea if they are hard up on cash or not!!! Even those that live in the "good areas" could be hard up on cash and can't afford things, because of the personal debt they have.

To answer your question: NO, I would not if I could help it, but sometimes it does happen especially this time of year with the weather change and haven't been to the store yet to by new clothing.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:59 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I know the family. They're not hurting for money so bad that their kids have to look homeless.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on May. 10, 2011