Whats the difference...

between being ethical and moral?

Do you think religious people have the upper hand on one or the other? Why?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 4:49 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• for me, there's not a big difference at all. both speak volumes about a person's character, whether good or bad.

and no, religious folk do not have the upper hand on either.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:51 PM on May. 10, 2011

• sorry..forgot the 'why'..

..because everyone has to make up their own mind what choices to make, be it hourly or daily, and how to conduct themselves concerning their fellow man or woman. everyone is responsible for themselves.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:53 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I think of ethics are more of a societal term-like medical ethics and morals to be more personal-

No one group has the upper hand in either one-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• as not are....oops!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:56 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I think of morals as internal--what defines our personal character. A person's morals rarely change.

I think of ethics as external--society or particular group's expectations of us. This could be church ethics, work ethics, legal ethics, family ethics, etc. Ethics are 'other' dependent.

So, ethics are morals applied to some kind of social group.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:58 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I forgot to answer the second part. No, I don't think religions necessarily have the upper hand when it comes to ethics. We all have to follow the same laws or have codes of ethics to follow at work, school, etc. etc.. And we all have our own morals as individuals. There are some people outside of religions who have high morals, and there are some people within religions who do not have high morals. Religious ethics is just one of many types of ethics, and I think ultimately it depends on each individual's morals more so than what groups they belong to (and whether they actually follow the ethics of the group they belong to as well).
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't see a difference at all, really... And I don't believe that religion has a monopoly or "upper hand" on either. It's not really something that factors in - religious and nonreligious people alike fall all over the spectrum of morality.....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:15 PM on May. 10, 2011

• There isn't really a difference. I don't think religious people are more ethical than anyone else in the world.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The terms are synonymous and there are no religious groups which have an "upperhand" as they generally reflect the individual rather than a specific group.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:51 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Pam19, thanks for your comments, I think you explained it very well.

What I'm curious about, is how your explanation fits in with the view of some religious people - that morals come from the Bible/"God", and without believing in "God" a person cannot have morals, or that their morals are somehow flawed.

Obviously, I know this is not true (and I know that you don't think it is), but I would like to understand the point of view of someone who does believe this.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 6:06 PM on May. 10, 2011