Anyone ever intentionally not pay rent when they were moving out?

Anyone ever not pay rent at the end of their lease just cause? Someone I know suggested that as a solution to not having all the funds ready to move. I was perplexed. Do people really do that kind of thing?

sneakyboo

Asked by sneakyboo at 4:52 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• that's stupid, the previous landlords can send your final bill to collections. then who would have the last laugh? i wouldn't do that kind of thing.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:54 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I did once because my apt manager was not working with me.... I was living with my boyfriend who was beating the crap out of me. I got an order for protection and she kept insisting my (ex) and I meet with her to discuss the lease and our options for ending it early. She REFUSED to understand we needed to meet separately or possibly do it conference call on the ph if the judge OK'ed it. She was being impossible so I just left.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:59 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The landlord can keep the deposit or take you to small claims if you do that....so why would you?
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Not a good thing to do.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• did u give a deposit? they will keep it and could go on your credit report. not a good idea
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 6:32 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't plan to do this. I was talking to a co-worker who suggested this to me. I was really perplexed that people out there actually think this is a pre-thought out solution when moving.
    sneakyboo

Comment by sneakyboo (original poster) at 6:36 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yeah, I totally bagged out of my rent when I moved so I could pay for the UHaul and get myself situated at the new place. Nothing much they can do.
    Anonymous