20 states have introduced bills allowing "campus carry" - allowing college students to conceal carry a weapon. Your thoughts?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/04/the-campus-carry-movement-stutter-steps-across-america/237915/

Campus-carry legislation was also on the move this spring in Arizona. Three weeks ago, the state's conservative governor Jan Brewer vetoed a gun rights bill that had already made its way successfully through both houses, saying it was "poorly written" and that allowing guns to be carried in 'public rights of way' could have included K-12 schools -- something prohibited under state and federal law.  

But the hiccup in Arizona hasn't stopped the movement to allow guns on campus gather momentum elsewhere. This year alone an astonishing 20 states have seen 'guns on campus' bills introduced (so far seven have failed).

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:54 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• As I am a college professor, this scares the hell out of me. Why in the world would students even need a gun on campus? I can see teachers being gunned down, girls gunned down because they stole somebody's boyfriend. UGH!!!
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 5:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Its like permission to turn a campus into the ghetto.

Really?  And people around here call conservatives the racists...  I do feel bad for those of you who fear guns.  You should be far more worried about the people who have them whether it's legal or not.  But yeah, go ahead, fear the rational, law-abiding people, that makes much more sense.  Enjoy your liberal paranoia, bring on the down votes.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:52 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Utah has always allowed people to have concealed permits carry on college campuses...in my 10 years living in this state the one single place I've seen have an incident of a crazy gunner shooting everyone was at a mall that didn't allow people to carry...and in that incident he was stopped by a guy that was carrying anyway.

...so I'm actually really supportive of getting more good guys to carry.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 5:57 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Had a gun in my downtown off campus apartment (in one of the 15 biggest cities in the US).... Never shot it (other than at the range). Never was stupid enough to take it to one of the 'rampant' parties I attended..... My roomate was criminal justice major (now works with FBI) and she had a gun, too.... Ohh the horror! ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:18 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Absolutely not, I am very against this idea and would fight it tooth and nail, here in my state. I don't give a rats ass how many classes and some such other "training" YOU personally may have. When the shooter walks into the lecture hall with about 110 students, and opens fire, no, 110 armed idiots is not what we need to keep the death toll down. Could the 5 have been saved if there was a limited number of trained personal with weapons, maybe, but he killed his 5 wounded his 20+, then shot himself all in less then 2 minutes, amidst absolute and complete panic and confusion. No one even knew which body was the shooter when the bullets stopped flying.

Vote me down call me names, what ever, as a parent and a student that has lived through it....no, can't get behind your arguments at all. And yes I have been around guns ALL my life, target, hunt and club shooter here.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:51 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Stupid idea. Encouraging gun carrying on a campus where partying is rampant, is just plain stupid
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:58 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I always carried in college. Never shot a single soul.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I wonder what definition of ghetto she meant This one,

" section of a city, especially a thickly populated slum area, inhabited predominantly by members of an ethnic or other minority group, often as a result of social or economic restrictions, pressures, or hardships. "

This one,

": an isolated group by minority or ethnicity"

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• LOL, all those who carried in college or had a gun at home and NEVER ENCOUNTERED A SITUATION WHERE YOU NEEDED TO USE THE WEAPON, do you not realize you're strengthening the POV that guns are NOT needed?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Whn my daughters reach college age , I will not allow then to go to any college where carrying weapons is legal - which fortunately it is not in countries oustside the US.

Good to know your offspring won't be infiltrating the US someday....  They probably wouldn't like our US Constitution, anyway...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:19 PM on May. 10, 2011