Did you get all kinds of unwanted advice when you revealed you were pregnant? adult content

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cathy-alter/pregnancy-etiquette_b_857361.html

Over the past six months or so, I've been told all sorts of things "they don't tell you." Like what will happen to my boobs, which will either disappear entirely, or shapeshift into two deflated bread bags. Or how, according to one friend, "they don't let you leave the hospital until you poop." And don't forget the ripped stitches that will inevitably happen on that maiden bathroom voyage.

When I'm not hearing about the wreckage about to befall my body, I'm listening to delivery stories that rival the gore fest of Alien. "I still can't get over the image of seeing blood on my doctor's eyeglasses," whispered one friend in that voice normally heard only in tents, with a flashlight under the chin, in front of a troop of Girl Scouts.

Why, I wonder, do people, do friends, feel so compelled to tell me such horror stories?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:14 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You know, i agree completely, but I've come to realized that women feel a sense of camaraderie with others who have been through childbirth. Its almost a displaying of battle scars on warriors when women start exchanging stories... a way of saying " hey Ive experienced this, but here's how it went with me." Its an extraordinary thing, regardless of whether you approach it with fear, eagerness, sadness or joy there's nothing like it. Ive realized this, and now when people start sharing their stories, i sit, smile, nod appreciatively and know that for the most part their intentions are good.

Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 5:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I got some of that but most of the unwanted advice happened after my first was born. I got to hear what everyone else did with their baby and how I should do it too. The advice I got before I delivered was about breastfeeding, diapering, etc. No one talked to me about the actual birth and what could go wrong. I am honestly glad for that. It would have made me a ton more nervous going into what was a complicated delivery anyway. I can see how women want to bond over this stuff but some things need to be kept to oneself at least until after the baby is born. I can't understand why anyone would want a new mom going into the delivery room with visions of stitches and first trip to the bathroom post birth in her head.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• yep
    momtobe522

Answer by momtobe522 at 7:44 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I didn't get advice so much as my MIL cam in and said she was taking my cat to the pound because cats get jealous and she wasn't allowing us to keep an animal around her grand baby needless to say i told her when she got rid of her cat we would talk to this day my little girl loves this kitty and she still scowls at me awe good times
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 11:08 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Have a homebirth and you'll have a heavenly story, not a horror story :)
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 11:22 PM on May. 10, 2011