Are you a lonely married woman?

At least when most women were single they tended to have a more active social life. Now, as married women, many with kids, there is just too much to do to add girlfriend time to the schedule. And with research showing a decrease in our confidantes, when women do have time to get away, we frequently choose to spend this time alone since it takes less energy to be alone than to make new friends.

A sense of disconnection is twice as damaging to our body as obesity and is as harmful as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. Lonely brains release higher levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, which impairs the cardiovascular system and can increase the risk of heart disease. Depression rises in conjunction with our lack of meaningful connections. To turn a blind eye to our longings for belonging helps no one.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shasta-nelson-mdiv/to-the-lonely-married-wom_b_851779.html

I've been there ~

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:20 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• My dd takes martial arts classes 5 days a week... We're not required to be there for all 5 days, but I go as much for me (sometimes more) as for her! It's the only interaction I get most of the time!!! I NEED to see those people. LOL
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 5:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't really think I'm lonely but I do wish I had a few girlfriends that I could hang out with once in awhile...I'm fine with my own company but it would be nice if when I did get a break I could go blow off some steam with some friends instead of just sitting in the house by myself lol

Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I am not ever that lonely, I have my Mom and three sisters. They always are calling me for something or another. I sometimes want time alone so I can do my hobbies, but that's when everyone start coming into my sewing room to ask me to do something.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 5:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I'm there every day. It's a little bit of a relief to know it's not just me and that the effects are real. Unfortunately though, there seems to be no solution.
    Anonymous

• I used to be lonely My stbxh was an abusive jerk who alienated me from my friends. He is an otr truck driver also. I was pretty much alone. Now I am almost single and have more friends and a better life.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I am a lonely married woman. My kids are very young, and I just don't have the energy to socialize ON TOP of everything else that I need to do every day. We can't afford a sitter or to pay for a gym membership. All the other moms I meet want to go out without the kids and spend money. Not an option.

Lonely. Very lonely.
    Anonymous

• i sometimes do i havent bin out of my house in a mounth and i stay in my room cause my husband perfers to be in a room he dont like to go out and i only have 1 girl friend i can hang with that i trust so yea i do get lonley
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 5:32 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I get lonely in the winter when everyone has to hole up inside more...it's better when the weather improves, and we can get out more.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 5:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Anons, I understand. Loneliness as a married woman is hard to deal with. My heart goes out to you.
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 5:17 PM on May. 12, 2011