I failed the 1hr Glucose Test; How can I prep myself for the 3hr test?

I just got the call from my OB's office saying I failed the Glucose test I took on Friday. This is my new OB's office, and quite frankly, I miss the old OB's office/staff, because I wouldn't be on here if I was still with her (had to move). Anyway, down to business, the woman on the phone said that I failed the test, and need to take a 3HR Glucose Test, which is now scheduled along with my next DR Appointment on the 20th.
She said I should put myself on a diabetic diet in prep for the test, but I don't know exactly what that means. Do any of y'all?
Besides the not eating/drinking (anything but water), how can I prep for the test?

Any resources/websites about Gestational Diabetes would be very appreciated, this is my first pregnancy, and I have no idea what I'm doing (but at least I'm honest).

M.Galvan

Asked by M.Galvan at 5:23 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• OK, first of all, I just went through the same thing & frankly I think that OBGYN's are going too crazy with all these tests recently because of the economy & they get more money the more tests you have. Hardly anyone including myself had this Gest Diab. issue 4 years ago when I was pregnant with my Son. That all being said. Make sure your 3 hour glucose is done as early in the morning as you can. That morning, do not even drink water. In preperation prior to the test 9about a week) , eliminate all sugary foods & drinks. NO CARBS like white bread at all. Eat whole wheat bread or whole grain. Eat nuts, drink milk and eat meat like roast beef & lots of veggies. I passed my 3 hour but they still kept pushing me to see "their" Endocrinologist & nutritionist (more kickbacks). Cont:
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:05 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I had GD at 28 weeks because I failed the 1 hour. They pretty much give you step by step counseling if you do get diagnosed. I had an appt set up to learn all about it from a dietician and how to control it, they monitor you more at the DR office with Stress tests and Ultrasounds to make sure the baby is ok - good luck on the 3 hour.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I failed the first test to pass the 3 hour test I didn't eat any carbs at all for 24 hours before the test.
    Bring entertainment with you because it is boring.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 5:34 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Nutrition Basics For Women with Gestational Diabetes

This guide provides basic information to help you start lowering your blood glucose

http://www.diabeticmommy.com/34-gestational-diabetes-diet.html

sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 5:37 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Cont: I went to a different Endocrinologist & nutritionist. I had to prick my finger & test my blood sugars for 2 weeks, 4 times a day, 2 hrs. after each meal. Well my #'s came out better than perfect. So here I am again. they put me through a barage of unesessary tests and agrivation for nothing. I even lost weight with all this, another thing you should not do to a pregnant woman! Well sorry to vent but it's all BS as far as I am concerned. GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:10 PM on May. 10, 2011

• damn the 1 hr killed me because i was so damn sick
    momtobe522

Answer by momtobe522 at 7:54 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I had to take the 3 hr test last pregnancy with my son :( It sucked , I was so sick from not eating. If you don't eat any carbs it works better, but you should really eat anything you normally eat. If you are positive you want to be sure of it. Good luck!!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 10:46 AM on May. 11, 2011