Exactly WHAT is gay and straight history? Do tell.

So the discussion yesterday was that we are forced to learn straight history in schools and that gay history isn't allowed and it's unfair. Soooo, I never knew that history had a sexuality. The good question was raised, if gay history was to be taught, what would be taught? Based on actual events, and happenings. What would that include? And what is straight history?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 5:30 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Oscar Wilde, Stonewall, Harvey Milk, Matthew Shephard, Addams House, Tammy Baldwin, civil rights fights for gay adoption/marriage, handling of the AIDS epidemic, the crossover between feminisim, GLBT movement and the women's civil rights movement, DOMA, DADT, Prop 8...

Kind of silly - like asking what is black history or what is women's history or what is Italian American history. A sub-genre isn't any less a part of the whole just because you fear the genre.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:47 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The best way I can think to put it is I remember hearing people say we don't need black history month that history is good enough period and people would say all other history is white history because it didn't focus enough/hardly at all on black people.  I think that was the point the person trying to make using the gay/straight aspect.

At least that was my take.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:46 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would imagine that like I said yesterday things like the right to marry the battles fought over it, deaths because of being gay, discrimination in general, don't ask don't tell, etc.

As far as straight history I guess they mean all other history. 

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:40 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Well, I don't mind if they want to teach about laws against discrimination of ALL kinds, but not just one. But that doesn't really seem like history to me. It's more like ethics

The question yesterday refrenced a different article then the one I read about a month or so ago.  In that article it said what was to be included would be left up to the districts. I just assumed the schools would focus on the civil rights aspects, at least that is what I think of when I hear gay history.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:53 PM on May. 10, 2011

• http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=5645

This article goes into some more depth as well as what some schools are already teaching if you are interested.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 6:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Actually, when I went to school and my kids were in school it was all under the heading of HISTORY. Still is as far as I know. They have not had specialized college history classes for blacks or hispanics so far either.
    It's good that parents can opt out. I don't see anything really wrong with it except that it seems to me the simple act of turning it into something "specialized" is singling out gays even more. To me a gay person is no different from anyone else except they have sex with members of the same sex. Personally , that is not something I want my kids studying in school. Sounds to me like "wanting to be validated", as stated in the article is the main reason for this as is for hispanics and blacks who are also included in history studies. These groups of people are no more special than any other group and I think they should all be taught in an appropriate manner under the history heading.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I hear ya on that Charis, I really do. And that's fine. But I don't understand how all history before that is straight. It just seems silly. It's not gay and it's not straight! It should just be history. You really did bring up a great point.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on May. 10, 2011

• hmmmmm, my gay friend read the thread and started laughing. He wanted to know what gay and straight history was. It was kinda funny, so I told him I'd ask.

Well, I don't mind if they want to teach about laws against discrimination of ALL kinds, but not just one. But that doesn't really seem like history to me. It's more like ethics.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 5:49 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Really NP? I fear the genre? I'm asking a legit question since they are talking about putting it in schools, I was wondering exactly what it pertained to. That's all. I just thought history was history no matter what it was.

Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I just thought history was history no matter what it was.

It is, but it's still specialized. If you major in history in college you don't go to 20 different classes all called "history".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:54 PM on May. 10, 2011