Who cleans kiddies room?

I make my 4 yr old clean her own room, she puts her toys away, I put her clean clothes on her bed and she puts them in her drawers, the only thing that I do for her is vacuum lol....DH's mother cleaned his room until the day that he moved in with me (no lie) and I REFUSE to raise my kids to be so totally dependent on me since I had to teach the man how to clean up after himself lol so I figure the earlier she learns how to do things on her own the better off she will be.

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 5:30 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am totally with ya. My grandma cleaned my Mom and Uncles rooms until they moved out and when they left the nest, they had no idea how to keep house. My mom would even call her in her thirties to come clean house while she was at work, but she did pay her. Mom divorced my dad when I was little and so had the single parent role. On one hand, I was a messy kid but on the other with my grandma cleaning up after us too I had no idea how to clean until I got a job as a house keeper in my twenties. I make my kids clean up their rooms and help me clean the living room because I don't want them to grow up and think it's okay to call me to clean for them.
    JenniP0708270

Answer by JenniP0708270 at 5:08 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Most of the time they do, but once something is lost or i notice they need a hand I step in and help
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:33 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have them do it I just sweep and mop.
    HeavenTrinJr

Answer by HeavenTrinJr at 5:53 PM on May. 10, 2011

• how responsible of a mom you are! I think anything a child is capable of doing then they should be doing. My son has outlined lists hanging up all through the house of the jobs he is responsible for. He does pretty good.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 5:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The kiddies do. My 6 y/o vacuums though, she is the only one I trust to not try and pick up the wrongs things with it.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• The kids. With help starting at 1 and then on their own starting at 3 (with occasional organizational help). They start learning to fold and put their own clothes away at 3, too, and by 4 they were all expected to fold and put away their own clothes.
    I'm not their maid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:01 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My three year old is expected to put away his toys although sometimes I help so it stays more organized and pieces of games/puzzles don't get lost. He does have to make an attempt before I'll help him though. He never really gives me grief about picking up. He doesn't put away his clean clothes yet but does take the dirty ones to the hamper. I do the dusting and vacuuming in his bedroom of course (except when my 11 year olds are volunteering for extra chores to earn money) I do think it's important to teach kids how to take care of themselves but it's a gradual process in my house. Every 6 months or so I add another thing they're responsible for and help them until they get it right:)

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 10:08 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I make him pick up his toys (also 4) and he attempts to make his bed, I don't make him put his clothes away because his drawers stick and I have to wrestle to get them open some times. He picks up after himself in other ways too. He puts his plates away, he knows where his shoes go.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:17 AM on May. 11, 2011

• Honestly they make their beds, but I clean their rooms from top to bottom eveyday... I vacum dust , fold clothes, help thm get all toys piced up.... I canno have a messy ouse, it makes me crazy.... clean is extremely important to me ....
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:26 AM on May. 11, 2011