Have you noticed that the people who have the most advice about how to raise your children are the people who don't have any kids?

Obviously I'm not talking about anyone on CM lol

I've noticed though that of my friends and family...it's always the people who don't have any children that have SO much advice and input on how I'm raising MY daughter...is it just the people around me or have you experienced this too? Why do you think that is? How are they qualified to give me advice???

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 5:38 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I get the same issues with friends. One friend has one child and her child right now is graduating highschool. She doesn't belive in my form of discipline. Which was not a concern for me at first. Everyone has the right to chose there own opinion, yes. The difference is I have three (3) kids, not one, Three (3). I din't have my second kid until my first was five and in school. So I have some experience in raising one kid alone. But when you have two or more I feel you then can qualify to give sisterly advice. And speaking of her child who is an adult now is outta control, she spoiled beyond belief. That is the outcome of no discipline;a spoiled, unruly, disrespectful person.
    mcchris4

Answer by mcchris4 at 7:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Oh yeah I just laugh
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:39 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Actually the ones that have the most "advice" are the ones that aren't the greatest parents to begin with. I got into this summer with my sil because she didn't like how we were parenting our kids. She didn't like that they had a bedtime or couldn't have soda or eat chips and cake for breakfast and that I had rules I made them follow while at her house. She tried to undermine us at every turn. We let them stay up late (since it was summer and we were visiting) but at midnight we put our foot down. She told them to ignore us and stay up as late as they wanted. She fed them junk food when we weren't looking and told them they didn't have to listen to us while at her house. WTF! Then she argued with me over it. She has 3 kids, 1 she had a restraining order against, 1 lives with her and 1 lives with his dad. They are all constantly in trouble with school/cops but we're the "bad" parents. Grrr.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• yes and what get me mad when people try to tell me what to feed what to give my son to drink and i always tell them no i fully breastfeed and it gets me mad when alot of people tell me to give him normal food dont mind others i stoped geting mad and just say what i think about it
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 5:48 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I have a good friend, who doesn't have kids and isn't married. He loves to spout out advice, he even at one point told me I was a bad mother. I told him when he has children that are on the honor roll, active in school counsel, carry 4.0 GPA's, active in all school sports, volunteer at the nursing home, love and care for their family and that other parents want to have over...he can tell me how to parent, because from where I see it I have great kids and they didn't get that way by themselves. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:49 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I get that every now and then. I guess it's easier to hand out advice on parenting when you actually aren't one.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:51 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No I have not had much of that. Almost everyone I knew has children. My aunt never did and she is all about giving me advice. I just listen and nod and let her think I am hearing this advice for the first time. Alot of it is stuff I read while pregnant, tried or whatever. But if it makes her feel better that she is telling me some life changing news more power to her.

Answer by gemgem at 5:51 PM on May. 10, 2011