Breastfeeding

im afraid that when my baby gets here, he/she wont want to breastfeed, can that happen?

LaurenC.

Asked by LaurenC. at 5:38 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know, I had a lot of fears about breastfeeding before my dd was born. I had heard so many stories of how hard it can be or situations where it didn't work out for many reasons. I did a lot of reading so that I would feel prepared at least with knowledge. Let me tell you that shortly after her delivery my dd was put to my breast and she latched right on, just like that. I was amazed. She nursed like a champ, and although I did have about a week of sore nipples, I never cracked or bled or got infections. I know that not everyone has an easy time, it takes some women and babies a while to settle in to nursing, but I sure wish someone had told me that sometimes it's not a total nightmare and it just might be that way for you, too. Unless there is something physically wrong with a baby's mouth they are usually very eager to eat. Not offering a bottle at first helps baby learn to nurse as well. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:56 PM on May. 11, 2011

• It's so very, very rare. Your baby was made to nurse, and you were made to feed him :)

I'm not saying it's not difficult, because the learning curve is sharp. But it's absolutely worth it!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 5:41 PM on May. 10, 2011

• as long as you don;t give the baby a bottle you shouldn;t have any problems. Now if the baby wont take the nipple at all then the baby is probably not hungry. Now if you've been breastfeed for awhile and the baby all of a sudden wont take the nipple then there is something wrong.
    CorkyMamma10

Answer by CorkyMamma10 at 5:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• no they will be sleepy but dont give any bottles at all just feed him breast milk it bin 7 mounths an im still only breastfeeding nothing eles only my milk it was hard at first but after 2 mounths u will be fine make shure he laches on right it will hert if u dont
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 5:58 PM on May. 10, 2011

• oh an if you breastfeed stick to it its the best thing you will be vary tierd and want to give him a bottle but dont do it i took care of my son by my self an i had a c section i was in pain n tierd but i still breastfeed its aswome an you loss wait i lost 60 pounds
    jack90

Answer by jack90 at 6:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• In order to help your baby and you work hard to breastfeed, don't buy formula or bottles or have them in your house when you get home from delivery. It's not easy, and it's not fun, but it is the best thing you can do for your child...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:32 PM on May. 10, 2011

• it can happen cause my son wouldn't latch on, my daughter on the other hand did and u can give baby a bottle as long as they have had the boob for a few days... my ob had me stop breast feeding for 3 days and just pump cause my DD had breast milk jaundice and she is only not even 2 weeks old and when i offered her the boob back she latched right on after using a bottle for a few days....
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 8:55 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My son was born and trying to breastfeed before he was even washed off :) I have heard of babies not wanting to breastfeed, but it usually has more to do with the fact that they barely need any food at all when they are first born. The stomach of a newborn grows raidly, but starts out at only about the size of your thumb.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 2:45 PM on May. 11, 2011