I am suppose to go to my dd's school & renew her IEP...

It has to be reviewed annually. But I am still not even sure what disability she has. I asked and they told me that she doesn't have one, but she has behavioral issues.
Is that considered a disability?
Can I just "not" agree to put her in a special ed class like they have her in now?
Would I need an attorney?

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 5:58 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• OH YES MAAM you can say you dont want an IEP....and I would have them tell me exactly what the heck she has one for as well!

I am a teacher and a parent of a dd with aspergers. Who has an IEP. They are reqired to listen to you and include you in the process. DO NOT feel bad for making them explain it to you, and also do not feel bad if you feel she no longer needs one...YOU YOU YOU are in control of this process...even if they dont want you to know that you are :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:06 PM on May. 10, 2011

• IEP aren't just for "disabled' kids,they're for when the child needs extra help for whatever reason

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:59 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Ok. That was not explained to me at the school.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 6:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• yes you have theat right. I have 2 children that have IEP each year cause 1 has ADHD and other has Learnign Disabilities took me changing schol to find out what was actually wrong with them though cause other school just kept moving her along
    kittylover333

Answer by kittylover333 at 6:21 PM on May. 10, 2011