Is it excusable?

When people use a slur against another religion, is it ok if they just never knew any better? And if it is, if they continue to use it after they're told, is it still excusable?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:04 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I love Oprah quote, "When you know better, you do better".

To me it is questionable when you are using a religious slur without knowing what it means. But when you know what it means and still use it, there is no excuse for that.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:08 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Are you refering to the fact that the terms Jews and even "Christian" were meant as slurs during a different time period and people were ignorant to this fact but even after being told still use the terms? If so I think it's more a mountain out of a molehill thing because societal views of those terms have changed so that they are not considered offensive anymore. If not I think you'll have to provide a clarification.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:08 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No, it is not excusable, especially if they've been told that such slurs are incorrect and offensive. If they never knew any better, than I can see people forgiving them the first time. But once that person has been corrected they can't say they still don't know any better. Choosing to continue with that language or line of thought is where you see the path turn from ignorance (meaning lack of understanding or knowing any better) to prejudice or bias or willful ignorance. If you get what I mean....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:11 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Nope, referring to the return of one that doesn't pop up here that often - the "godless heathens" in the question below this. The one that refers to the indigenous people of Europe who were tortured and murdered by Christians until they grudgingly agreed to forsake their gods in public and hide their faith under pain of death, while the Christians continued to refer to them as "godless" for refusing to accept the chosen god of Christianity. That one.

Because on one level, while I understand that there are some more naive pockets of the country where people have lived very sheltered lives, they never really think about that aspect, so they honestly don't know any better. But then on the other hand, I know that some of those same people were raised thinking Jews were "Jesus killers" and yet, would never dream of saying something like that in public. Just curious.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• No. A religious slur is no better than a racial slur and should not be accepted any differently.  Bigotry is bigotry no matter what group, (ethnic, religious, sexual orientation), is being put down. 

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 6:13 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Well that isn't the only application in which that phrase has been used so I think it would depend on context as well to determine if it is a slur. technically speaking though the whole slur "Godless Heathen" is rather redundant so then I think we need to also look at how this phrase came into practice as well as created, along with how itis viewed in current social aspects.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Redundant if they were to capitalize it, but they never bother. Instead it has a whole new contradictory meaning that not only was never intended, is actually more offensive (if possible) than the original intent. Along side the torture and murder, it's all relative, but it is kind of strange how selectively aware of offending people are. And when compared to other recent events, like the whole "how I see it" fiasco from yesterday, oddly hypocritical, as well.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:25 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Probably not- it is interesting that it was used to self identify in some cases on the thread- I am not sure if that makes it better or worse-kind of like the N-word....and much like that- I say away from any word that can be misconstrued- at least I try to- I have my slip ups-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• There have been a few instances where I've probably scared someone who self-identified as Heathen when I asked them questions and they had no idea what I was talking about. There was actually an argument when I first joined where a user who isn't here anymore tried insisting that I must identify as Pagan whether I want to or not because she classifies it as simply a sub-group of NeoPagan.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:29 PM on May. 10, 2011

• OP- thats funny- I think words are situational or regional as well- I grew up in DC, we had all the Jewish holidays off school because there were so many Jewish families- Jew (as a noun, not a verb) was not a bad word- like if you said "Kosher foods are something the Jews eat" would not be offensive- now here in Colorado if you use Jew as a noun its a bad thing- so I don't- who knows, it could be just the progression of time like black and African American- either way- one time should be all it takes to get it-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:56 PM on May. 10, 2011