How Did You Handle Bullies As a Kid and Now As Adults

I once as a kid put an end to one such brat by pushing him in a rose bush, he never bothered me again. As an adult I avoid such types and learned that what they do is rooted in insecurity and an attempt to get others to notice them, so ignore works wonders. As a teacher I just put the loud clicks of kids in with the quiet ones and put and end to their plans.

One kid did not give up so I kick him out of class, very disruptive, the entire class clapped as he was escorted out. The other incident in my class two boys hitting each other, I got the usual he started it story, my response I do not care, you both end it by apologizing or you both get to leave the class. Both hated me, in the end I was respected for not letting them get away with starting or escalating the fight.

sweet11-12

Asked by sweet11-12 at 6:23 PM on May. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I only had one, and I just stayed away from her as much as possible. Didn't help that my friends were friends with her, but it wasn't too bad. SHe didn't bully me that much she just hated me.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 6:26 PM on May. 10, 2011

• As a child? I cried. A lot. Then I grew up and thankfully got therapy, and took various life skills courses. Now, my preferred method of dealing with bullies is to steal their spotlight. Bullies want attention, and they want power. If they attack me verbally, I agree with them, and sometimes even up the ante. I laugh at their ridiculous attempts to try to do what I can do infinitely better. What kind of pathetic bully can't even get a rise out of their target? Bullies want you to either get defensive or go on the attack, either way they dictate your actions, and they win. They don't expect you to agree with them, and laugh.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 7:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I ignore them and look at them like really it goes away quickly because I don't care.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Thankfully I was never really bullied in school. My husband says I was sheltered and have no idea what being a dork whose picked on is like and he is probably right. Now, when I see my own kids maybe dealing with bullies I try and show them how to stand up to the mean kids and when all else fails to tell me or a responsible adult who can help them.

As for adult bullies, again, havent had to deal much with them either. We do have some parents who are rather pushy and rude and I just tell them to chill out.

Answer by gemgem at 6:31 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I was bullied a lot when I was a kid. At first I would just be quiet and let them say or do whatever. Eventually I got into fights.

As an adult I have learned not to talk to them again. I ignore them as much as I can. They eventually (most of the time) move on. For those who don't I usually end up blowing my stack. Pointless in the end because they got what they wanted but sometimes you just have to stick up for yourself.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 7:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I was a very passive child. So I got bullied some, mostly in middle school. I just cryed and wrote about it in my journal. AS an adult, I have also grown to be quite passive. If adults try to bully me, I just ignore them. If I see a child bullying another...I get involved.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Some get really mad at being ignored. they say I hate you and I say so, then smoke comes out of there ears.
    sweet11-12

Comment by sweet11-12 (original poster) at 6:34 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Gemgem,

No bullies? how about driving on the freeway or at work?. DH also became quiet so we get along great. I have develop the look, if kids are going at it I look at them and they stop in their tracks. It might be a teacher thing, I do not put up with it.
    sweet11-12

Comment by sweet11-12 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Like in the animal kingdom, first kangaroo to kick losses. Or put another way first person that gets physical has lost like in Karate Kid. Today not a wall flower or push over and no interest in getting dirty. Teach the kids to fly under the radar and not put everything about them self out there and being liked by everyone should not be a goal. Know your self then pick your friends.
    sweet11-12

Comment by sweet11-12 (original poster) at 7:19 PM on May. 10, 2011

• NEVER as a kid and NEVER as an adult did I EVER have an incident with a "bully" I dont let little crap bother me and I have NEVER presented myself as a door mat. There was nothing to tease me about and if they did they didnt do a good enough job to bother me.

I think we have taught our kids 1) to think everything has to be fair 2) that anyone mean is a bully 3) not to go toe to toe with someone who is treating you poorly. We dont have more bullies today we have more wussy kids.
    Anonymous