How to find a home in another state without going there?

We have made this move before, because of my husband's job. Last time we had a month to plan and I found a decent large home for our family through craigslist. However, once we moved we realized that it was a college town and we were smack dab in the middle of it. It was the only house available so we didn't have a choice. Now we might have to move again within a month to Mt. Pleasant, MI. I don't know the decent family neighborhoods near there, and am having a hard time finding info on the internet, let alone ANY homes there for rent. It is also a college town and it's full of apartments. Does anyone have experience on moving or the area? The move is not for sure yet, so I don't want to start posting ads quite yet.

elenalee

Asked by elenalee at 6:58 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Travel

• Sign up to Fodors.com or frommers.com and post this question in the USA forums...locals will answer and be able to really help.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:00 PM on May. 10, 2011

• You really can't get around going down there to take a look if you want the right thing. If you just rent or buy a place without looking at it and checking out the neighborhood, you are taking that risk. The internet can be very decieving as to what the house looks like, and they actually block out the bad flooring, or the water damage in the bathroom, or the neighbors who party all night. I've done this a few times.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• try calling a realastate agent in the area and telling them what you are looking for.....alot of people who own property often entrust these companys to rent out there places for them.....

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:31 AM on May. 15, 2011