Could the Dr. miscalculate how far along I am during a PAP? adult content

My first appt. with the OB was for a PAP. I have not had an ultrasound yet. He said I am 4-6 weeks along. I have been wondering for 4 months if I was pregnant due to lighter periods and gaining 10 lbs. I am a slimmer active mom. I have never been as heavy as I am right now. I could blame it on winter though. I also have been having twitching in my stomach in the side. This is going to be my 3rd baby, so I know what baby kicks feel like. I have never had my stomach twitch 2- 6 times in a row several times a day. I just wonder if he could have miscalculated my due date by internally measuring my uterus with his fingers?

elenalee

Asked by elenalee at 7:19 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I guess ive not had a dr tell me how far along I am by that. The only way I thought they could even tell was by an ultrasound and measuring the fetus.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 7:21 PM on May. 10, 2011

• Yes, an ultrasound is much more reliable since they do measurements. If you question this Dr.'s techniques, now is the time to find a better OBGYN. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:22 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I Thought the only way to tell is by ultrasound .... I never heard of that actually
    PrissyT

Answer by PrissyT at 7:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• yeah i have never heard it done that way either. And if you don't trust his opinion then i would get a second one by a different doctor
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 7:23 PM on May. 10, 2011

• HMMM. Now I wonder. They told me it was a nurse's visit with paperwork, since I was only 5 weeks along at the time...or so he says. They sprung the PAP on me last minute. I wonder if he just wanted a feel... That's bad. I should say that.
    elenalee

Comment by elenalee (original poster) at 7:28 PM on May. 10, 2011

• *shouldn't
    elenalee

Comment by elenalee (original poster) at 7:29 PM on May. 10, 2011

• the scan if the best way to date it
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 7:30 PM on May. 10, 2011

• LOL! I went in at 5 weeks too & they did a Pap!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:32 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My dr measures the height of the top of the uterus and goes by that and the ultrasound.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:34 PM on May. 10, 2011

• With my other two, they also used a measuring tape and measured to the top of my uterus, but he didn't really feel my stomach on the outside, besides poking at 2 places in my stomach and asking if it was tender. I just know every pregnancy is different. I carried my daughter low, my son high. Now I wonder if this one could be farther back and that is why I am not "showing" as much if I am farther along.
    elenalee

Comment by elenalee (original poster) at 7:50 PM on May. 10, 2011