Who already knows they can't get an epidural?

Just curious because I know I can't get one.

Wanted to know who else, and if you can't get one are you attending childbirth class?

jessiskinner200

Asked by jessiskinner200 at 7:58 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I didn't have one with my first born.. Didn't take classes and it wasn't bad at all..

Why can't you have one?? Just wondering
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• i cant get one as i'm a bit wimp and there no way a needles going in my back i'm very needle phobic they had to knock me out for both my c-sections lol i can just and no more do a needle in the arm you see

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:02 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I didn't get one, chose not to get one. But curious, why can't you get one? And I did not take the birthing classes, it's a natural thing, having a baby comes naturally to you, a birthing class does not do much
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:03 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I'm curious why you can't too. It seems like if you can't get an epidural, that they would have a hard time doing any kind of spinal or anything for an c-section if it came to that. Scary!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• When I took my birthing class there was a mom in there who could not get one due to a past spinal injury. I ended up with one even though it was not in my plan but I found the classes VERY helpful for pain coping skills. It helped that DH was in the class with me and able to coach me through.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:12 PM on May. 10, 2011

• With both my first pregnancies, I couldn't get an epidural or pain meds because I progress to quick. By the time I got to the hospital I was 6, and when they hooked me up I was at an 8. My 3rd pregnancy now, they said they will induce me because they are worried I'll have the baby at home. If he/she does come quick, I'll just go natural again since I know they won't give me a choice. I never attended a class. I don't really see a point. You will do what you feel comfortable at the time. The nurses are always there to coach you. Everyone I know with a plan never follows it.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 8:18 PM on May. 10, 2011

• with my first child the epi didn't work and they told me it was because all the arthritis in my back, well with my 2nd baby i asked for it anyways and it worked, the first jerk didn't know what he was doing i guess
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:06 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I cannot get an epi because I had spinal fusion surgery in '05. Meaning there's a titanium rod fused on my spine which was a big fusion covering the epidural cavity. So if I had to end up getting a c-section I'll get knocked out. & as far as baby, he's head down so I'm hoping I WON'T need a c-section unless it was for some other reason :)
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 11:09 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I had 2 kids and I could not get an epidural I have a bleeding disorder and the needle could cause bleeding in the spinal area and i could have ended up paralyzed , And my doctor said the same thing, if I needed a csection they would have just knocked me out. I did take child birth classes and luckily my labors were fast.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• god bless you on that lol all i can say is breath and try to stay relaxed
    momtobe522

Answer by momtobe522 at 8:41 AM on May. 11, 2011