• In the Spotlight:

Do you defend your child's behavior or reprimand it?

I swear some people make up excuses for their child to act like a brat when really they are just being a brat. You can't keep using excuses forever ya know. Sooner or later you have to own up to the fact that your child needs discipline!

Sorry, but I had a run in with someone's child that was just out of control and the mom was like, oh he's just being a boy. No. That's not an excuse. My daughter can't act like that cause it's just not right. So teach our son some manners too!

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 8:11 PM on May. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I reprimand it, but if she is overly tired, than yes I do tell people that she needs a nap. It's not an excuse. A tired 2 year old is typically a bad 2 year old.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I do both -- depending on the situation.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 8:14 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I dont make excuses for my children, if they are misbehaving they get in trouble. However, if someone THINKS they have the right to point it out, say something about it or try to discipline my child we will have our own issue. I have had trouble with family thinking they can SPANK my 1 &3 year olds before I even have a chance to react to what my kids did...and I dont think it is right.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 8:15 PM on May. 10, 2011

• It's one thing to discipline other people's children but it's another to just let your child get away with sh*t I wouldn't let my child get away with. If you know it's wrong for your child to hit another child than it's time to stop making excuses and nip it in the butt ASAFP.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 8:17 PM on May. 10, 2011

• ANd no it's not right to discipline other people's children. btw
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 8:18 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I had a child who would occassionaly hit, thank God it wasn't a long stage. I would apologize to the child and parent (heck, i was embarrassed) and they said, "oh, that's ok" (but to me, it really wasn't ok)...and then I would explain my child needed a nap or to eat. I I would correct the situation and leave.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:24 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I do both depending as well. I think some peoples ideas of what my child should or should not be doing can be different then my ideas of what is alright, and vice versa.

Answer by gemgem at 8:27 PM on May. 10, 2011

• My daughter was SHOVED into the ground by an older boy. He literally SHOVED HER into the ground. I was fuming!!!! Everyone who saw it just said, "Aw he's just being a boy." No. Not an excuse. I would not let her get away with shoving another kid into the ground, causing that child to bleed all over himself and say, "She's just being a girl" because unfortunately girls aren't "supposed" to behave that way. So if girls can't do it neither can boys or any other child. That's just my opinion though.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 8:32 PM on May. 10, 2011

• What you just described is unacceptable. The boy needed to be immediately removed and spoken to.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:44 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I don't sat reprimand. But correction yes. Like tonight he was loud with his friends at dinner after a soccer game. I took him to the bathroom for a private chat about my expectations for behavior. Then his dad took him on a long walk to discuss what needed to happen. As a result of tonight...it will no longer be an option for pizza out after the game. We decided order the pizza and then eat our home with the friends. Public and four year olds after a game...hard to recover. So the correction is "we noticed it is hard for you after a game to stay calm and it's hard on you and all around us. So we will order pizza to go and eat at home with our friends". It's fum to eat out but no he just can't. Not after a game. Always correction with an explanation. He often asks to be spanked - says it's faster and is tired of having to learn something. I like the teach and reach approach.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:53 PM on May. 10, 2011